Uncle Drop Bear Trip Planned For Tomorrow

Drop Bear

39 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Good luck @Drop Bear.  I hope you put your uncle onto a few. I am without my tow vehicle until the end of the month and my hire car has no tow bar so keep me in mind if you need a deckie in the next couple of weeks.

I have a tow car... and a tow ball... and a reckless sense of abandonment...

i.e CALL ME

Hope you get a few @Drop Bear, has been some good catches of diver whiting around of late.

Good luck Robbie - we went out today. Trolled for a bit but only caught grinners (stop laughing @Old Scaley .....) so went back in to Green. Tried drifting for squid/cuttlefish in around 9m of water for no luck (if you try, perhaps try around 7m depth and see if you have better luck) and the kids were getting restless so went and anchored up to do some 'proper' fishing. Slow at first during tide change but then plenty of action once the tidal flow kicked in but no keepers sadly. Boys got some thrills with Liam hooking something big which turned out to be a large turtle and then right as we were packing up George had something else big which turned out to be about a 105cm wobbegong shark which I pulled into the boat for a quick photo before releasing. Amazing what 2-4kg rods with small reels and 8lb line and a small hook can pull up 🙂 

@Drop Bear sounds like you had a cracker day in the end...I have to remind myself sometimes that catching fish isn't always what it is about (although it is hard not to feel a bit down). Still a good feed in the crate! 

Must admit have to spend some more time in the south as the north bay is just tough going ... although I hate to say it I reckon I have mastered the whiting fishing up here. One thing I definitely have noticed is that they won't bit much if the bait isn't moving. And generally speaking they prefer it closer to the bottom than floating - guess that makes sense as they are bottom feeders. They still amaze me how hard they hit when they are on. Maybe I should turn my whiting skills into Snapper skills with fresh bait! 

19 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice one Robbie, good day out. You referred to the 'new poop schute cruise ship terminal' - is that on the right as you come back in the river before the pipeline? If so I didn't realise that's what they were building - haven't been around the river mouth in a boat for a while so will have to go for a tour sometime.

yep I have been told that is what they are building. I am not 100%sure though but it does look more like it now. 

2 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

@Drop Bear sounds like you had a cracker day in the end...I have to remind myself sometimes that catching fish isn't always what it is about (although it is hard not to feel a bit down). Still a good feed in the crate! 

Must admit have to spend some more time in the south as the north bay is just tough going ... although I hate to say it I reckon I have mastered the whiting fishing up here. One thing I definitely have noticed is that they won't bit much if the bait isn't moving. And generally speaking they prefer it closer to the bottom than floating - guess that makes sense as they are bottom feeders. They still amaze me how hard they hit when they are on. Maybe I should turn my whiting skills into Snapper skills with fresh bait! 

Sounds like a good plan! the wind and tide was so still I was casting out as far as i could and slow retrieving. Sort of worked. 

The toads out there look very well fed 🙂