Hinze Western Arm 21/8/19

rayke1938

Goes back a few years ago and started over a misunderstanding about a tagging weekend.  Noses got put out of joint and matter exacerbated due to intransigence and stubbornness on both sides.

The result is that suntag do not support the tagging of bass in NPD although they do support tagging of yellas and toga and silvers there.    

Suntag have indicated that they will resupport tagging if the PRFMA will purchase tags  but do not support individuals tagging bass.

Great shame as NPD is the only dam with catch records going back to 2002 and combined with fish tagging records there was a method to monitor the growth of fish and the overall health of the fishery.

Cheers Ray

Last tagging day SEQ water donated 500 tags they are aprox $1 each, It costs $70 per year to be a member of suntag  and several factors come into play re the number of tags you can receive. Years ago pre Cantdo Newman suntag used to receive government funding and there seemed to be no limit on the number of tags received, One year Dino.Andrew and I  tagged well over 3000 fish but now you struggle to get 25 to 50 tags at a time and they can take up to a month to arrive. What gets up my nose is that individuals are not allowed to tag bass in NPD when everyone and their dog are encouraged to tag flathead and other saltwater species.

Prior to everyone getting their togas in a tangle both SEQ water and suntag used to donate the tags for the tagging days and suntag used to provide people and resources on the tagging days.

Whilst there may be no resolution to Suntag and PRFMA resolving their differences i really fail to see why ordinary people cannot tag bass in NPD.

Cheers

Ray