Five Rocks / Nine Mile Beach

Peter35

Heading up to Five Rocks in Byfield for the first time next weekend.

Wondering if anyone has fished much from the Rocks and Nine Mile beach? Looking for a few tips on where to fish and best way to fish from the Rocks and beach? 

Im thinking of floating Pillies on gang hooks out from the Rocks on one rod and casting some 40 - 60g chrome slices out on the other rod with a fast retrieve. Also trying my luck with some poppers and surface lures, stickbaits.

From Nine mile beach im thinking of using a light setup with Whiting rigs and using beach worm, pippies and prawn for bait. Mainly targeting whiting, dart and maybe flathead. Do you think its worth throwing some lures from the beach? 

Thanks in advance and happy fishing.

mate head over to secret spot bait and tackle and speak to Chappy.

It has been awhile for me since I have been up to 5 rocks but as for lures I am a bait fisho and way out of my depth with them though I do use poppers.

Might be time for me to buy another truck and head up there.

Now as for fishing from the rocks I always suggest a paternoster about a 5/0 rig with a flasher and bait it up with squid or whatever you have available. 

Seriously though pop into that tackle store and speak to chappy.

Josh.

Better Tackle 

On 25/08/2019 at 7:57 PM, Peter35 said:

Thanks Josh ill try that paternoster rig i like the sound of that. Ill pop in and speak to chappy, local knowledge is gold if they are willing to give it. 

You should invest in that new truck, plenty of good fishing spots only accessible by 4wd.

Cheers

All good mate and coincidentally since I last wrote this they just bought a bit of my gear to sell in store. 

This had nothing to do with my suggesting to see the team at Secret Spot,  this only happened yesterday.

Yeah mate, used to 4wd around a lot when I was younger and had a lot more time on my hands. these days the boat gets me access to a lot of places that I could not even get to via 4wd.

Tight lines mate and throw us all some pics when you get back from your adventure

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Peter35 said:

Heading up to Five Rocks in Byfield for the first time next weekend.

Wondering if anyone has fished much from the Rocks and Nine Mile beach? Looking for a few tips on where to fish and best way to fish from the Rocks and beach? 

Im thinking of floating Pillies on gang hooks out from the Rocks on one rod and casting some 40 - 60g chrome slices out on the other rod with a fast retrieve. Also trying my luck with some poppers and surface lures, stickbaits.

From Nine mile beach im thinking of using a light setup with Whiting rigs and using beach worm, pippies and prawn for bait. Mainly targeting whiting, dart and maybe flathead. Do you think its worth throwing some lures from the beach? 

Thanks in advance and happy fishing.

Hey mate I lived in Yeppoon for Term 1 of this school year calendar and I used to fish Farnborough beach a fair bit. Head up the top to Corio bay and fish the mouth on the run in. I used to catch Blue Salmon, Trevally, GT, Queenies and massive Dart. Mostly used pilly cubes on 2/0 hooks and whiting shanks. Sometimes metal slugs into the back of the waves and reel in.

3 hours ago, natang said:

Hey mate I lived in Yeppoon for Term 1 of this school year calendar and I used to fish Farnborough beach a fair bit. Head up the top to Corio bay and fish the mouth on the run in. I used to catch Blue Salmon, Trevally, GT, Queenies and massive Dart. Mostly used pilly cubes on 2/0 hooks and whiting shanks. Sometimes metal slugs into the back of the waves and reel in.

Pro tip!

Try Three Rivers beach as well have caught good queenies and mackies there at the right time of the year with pillies and slugs. The drive down the quad track is work the trip when I used to live there. Sharks can be plentiful as well. Five rocks is good to fish off just keep an eye on the tide!

Scoota...