How To Find Possible Leak In Boat

Ryannnnnnnn

Hello,

Fairly new to boating and have a 2012 horizon 435 easy fisher aluminium boat. It has a pretty deep, strong hull on it with a false floor.

After I've been out on the water for a few hours I look in the hull (have a hatch to access bilge pump and also a storage compartment at the front) and find there's a bit of water sitting in there, in the corrgugations of the hull - I guess about a few cups of water. I remember when I first got the boat 6 months ago, there was never any water inside the hull.

Here's some additional notes:

- It's salty to taste
- It's not residual from washing it down post use - I have a steep driveway which I leave the boat to dry on and make sure it's all dry before taking it out
- Around the bung plugs themselves look dry from the inside
- The hull has no visible patches, dents or cracks that I can see
- I am out in calm water so I don't really take any water on board

What I've tried to attempt to find the cause:

- Put a lantern in different places inside the hull and crawled around the boat in the pitch black to see if there was any pinpoles showing light
- Put water in the anchor well and tested if there were any leaks from the drainage hose

Couldn't find any evidence where the water might be coming from - I'm baffled!

Is it a bad idea fill (not completely full of course, a few cms of water) inside the hull and see if any water comes out? Or could this damage the trailer? Are there any other ways to find a leak?

Thanks

Hey mate. Not a bad idea to do it all in reverse. Bungs in and add water carefully, keeping the underside dry at all times. Once you add a reasonable amount, any holes should become evident by looking for the wet spot underneath.

but as lance said - start off replacing the bungs and see how you go there. Cheap and easy way to eliminate one likely cause.

@aussie123 - not sure this method would work for pin holes in a tinny? If it does... I guess that’s just unfortunate. 🤣

That method isn't a long term fix unfortunately @aussie123 - I tried it but it leaked again next time, so I gave up ........... :whistle:

@benno573 - pretty sure @ellicat use this method to fix the pin holes in 'The Force' ....... but I guess, in life he is 'unfortunate' .......... 🙂 

@Ryannnnnnnn - that's a pretty young/new hull. How does the fitting of the bung hole look - no gaps or sealant used to seal any gaps? And because you're only talking about a few cups of water, are you sure none is coming into the boat whilst travelling at speed?

Filling your boat with water is a good way to find the leak. Like you say not too much. You can also put a bit of food colouring in the bottom of the boat so that you can see it when it runs out otherwise it is really hard to track it down. 

A small amount of water is pretty normal to have in the bottom of the boat but for piece of mind it wont hurt to find the source. 

Bestt way do it on concrete, support rear corners of trailer with bricks, raise jockey wheel and commence filling. hopefully you will see some drops of water, if not lower jockey wheel as water runs to bow. keep on filling till you find leak. if it is small may have to leave for a couple of hours. do not use silicone to patch.

worry for typos using tablet inbutcher shop

(fixed it for you Ray) 🙂

• 2 weeks later...