Descale Flush Starbrite?? Any Advice?

davostephens

Hi I am new here but not to fishin.

Anyone used starbrite descale flush?

Had 200 2stroke yammy 30 hp overheat issues.

Outboard mechanic and myself have cleaned all water jacket galleries etc, new gaskets, new pump housing, new impellor. 

It seems to only overheat when at idle after good run. not a hell of a lot of water thru telltale but still steady flow.

It has already cost me 750$. Now the mechanic is inclined to lift the whole powerhead of to look at a few lower galleries.. i can only assume another 500$ plus

Has anyone used one of these descalers, I always flush motor but then it sits there 6 weeks plus while at work

12 hours ago, davostephens said:

Hi I am new here but not to fishin.

Anyone used starbrite descale flush?

Had 200 2stroke yammy 30 hp overheat issues.

Outboard mechanic and myself have cleaned all water jacket galleries etc, new gaskets, new pump housing, new impellor. 

It seems to only overheat when at idle after good run. not a hell of a lot of water thru telltale but still steady flow.

It has already cost me 750$. Now the mechanic is inclined to lift the whole powerhead of to look at a few lower galleries.. i can only assume another 500$ plus

Has anyone used one of these descalers, I always flush motor but then it sits there 6 weeks plus while at work

Hi Davo

Welcome to the site, mate how do you know it is overheating, is it because an alarm goes off? Reason I ask is I had a 40hp Mariner outboard many years ago and spent quite a bit of money trying to track down a perceived overheating problem, based on an alarm going off, the mechanic at the time was about to check the lower galleries for blockages when I asked if he could check if the alarm was faulty and it was, just food for thought Davo. 

MSB

we run it in river together for 15 mins, couldnt get it to go off. just as we were talking when at idle i revved up to head to boat ramp and then it went off(rev limiter).. Then revved a bit and water flowed through quicker and away we went, couldnt get it to go off at speed any more, only when you idle. So hence why i think it is a flow problem.

rev limiter went off, used his temp probe on the head around water jacket area. To ensure it was a over heat, And then crossed the wires on the over heat rev limiter and it was proven a over heat problem.

Then the motor was stripped and cleaned around the water jacket, Wasnt too bad but some scaley build up. Not enough for the mechanic to say theres the deffinite issue. So i run it out to fishing spot 6 mile away, no issue.. until idle and got anchor ready, then took off and rev liliter kicks in again. Same for trip home. Where previous to this trip if i ran over 3/4 revs the rev limiter would kick in.

My way of thinking is the new pump housing, impellor etc has increased flow to keep cool enough, But when you run hard for a while and idle the slower flow going against a restriction somewhere lower in the cooling system is seeing the overheat.

Hopefully this rinse sorts it lower and i dont have to pull it apart again.

On 17/09/2019 at 8:11 PM, davostephens said:

Just usual unleaded, ulp 91. United servo. mix ratio is 100:1

I read something once and can’t remember where or produce supporting facts, but I read an article about a bloke having similar problem as you.

He was advised to use a quality 95 or 98 fuel (Shell, BP, Caltex) in his boat and to stay away from 91 and E10 being sold at cheap servo’s. 

Can’t recall the reason why, but I can remember that the bloke changed his fuel and had no further problems. 

Sorry I can’t produce supporting facts, just relaying something I read. 

• 1 month later...

Well i flushed the stuff through as directed, Let stand in the motor for 5-10 mins.

Did it again,

Wow a whole lot of crappy black water came out.

I flushed it through thoroughly after.

Some debris debris must have dislodged whilst running at sea and blocked the telltale.

But no overheat as yet. Blew the blockage thru with mouth,  and seemed to run fine.

no issues as yet. Will see how runs next trip.

Think it worked good so far.

On 21/09/2019 at 10:08 PM, shakey55 said:

I read something once and can’t remember where or produce supporting facts, but I read an article about a bloke having similar problem as you.

He was advised to use a quality 95 or 98 fuel (Shell, BP, Caltex) in his boat and to stay away from 91 and E10 being sold at cheap servo’s. 

Can’t recall the reason why, but I can remember that the bloke changed his fuel and had no further problems. 

Sorry I can’t produce supporting facts, just relaying something I read. 

Yeh probably some truth

But then again all the fuel for Cairns, as in most places comes off the one  fuel ship/tanker. Usualy imported from singapore. (as Australia only has 2 refineries now. BP perth and VIVA Geelong) The rest is imported. 95% of Australias fuel.

I worked on product tankers for years. The only difference i can see is maybe some additives that mite be included once in the storage tanks.

Realy i think its all Bull S##T. BP Caltex, Shell etc all take their percentage of what comes in from overseas on the tanker. In cairns thats every 10 days or so. And distribute through their servo.

My outboard mechanic said using 98 octane etc can potentially open a whole new set of worms, Just run ulp 91

Well i flushed the stuff through as directed, Let stand in the motor for 5-10 mins.

Did it again,

Wow a whole lot of crappy black water came out.

I flushed it through thoroughly after.

Some debris debris must have dislodged whilst running at sea and blocked the telltale.

But no overheat as yet. Blew the blockage thru with mouth,  and seemed to run fine.

no issues as yet. Will see how runs next trip.

Think it worked good so far.