Fishing Line Bins - Pros And Cons

Drop Bear

It would probably depend on how the old fishing line was discarded by whoever collects it. If you put the old line in a bag and throw in the general waste bin, when it gets to the tip, the dozers flatten out the piles of rubbish and that bag could get ripped open and the old line exposed sometimes with hooks attached, potentially posing a tangling risk for animals or birds that scavenge the piles.

If the old line get put in a dedicated bin and then the line gets disposed of by melting or other such process it would be a better and safer solution. Having said that I think that the risk to birds and animals may be quite low so it might be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist or is insignificant.

When you consider that billions of birds die annually just by striking buildings and a very large number die hitting cars on the roads, I wonder if it will make any difference in the larger scheme of things. I would probably use one if it was there because it probably is the right thing to do but not because I foresee it solving any problem.

Plastics in the ocean pose a much greater threat to anything swimming in it.

On 25/09/2019 at 11:21 AM, Luvit said:

I don't see a need for separate bin for discarded fishing line.

There are already rubbish bins provided so, if discarded fishing line is not put in them ATM then providing a dedicated bin is not change the grubs behaviour. 

I think the money could be put to better use.

Yep it is money that could be sued elsewhere and labour that could be used elsewhere. Thats pretty much how I feel about it. 

On 25/09/2019 at 7:48 PM, Ed. said:

It would probably depend on how the old fishing line was discarded by whoever collects it. If you put the old line in a bag and throw in the general waste bin, when it gets to the tip, the dozers flatten out the piles of rubbish and that bag could get ripped open and the old line exposed sometimes with hooks attached, potentially posing a tangling risk for animals or birds that scavenge the piles.

If the old line get put in a dedicated bin and then the line gets disposed of by melting or other such process it would be a better and safer solution. Having said that I think that the risk to birds and animals may be quite low so it might be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist or is insignificant.

When you consider that billions of birds die annually just by striking buildings and a very large number die hitting cars on the roads, I wonder if it will make any difference in the larger scheme of things. I would probably use one if it was there because it probably is the right thing to do but not because I foresee it solving any problem.

Plastics in the ocean pose a much greater threat to anything swimming in it.

Yep all good points. I suppose we could have a can and heat it up so it melted into a blob.