Rod For Abu 7000c Surf Fishing With Lures

cps

Hi Folks,

Just got back from Lakes Entrance. Was fortunate to fish Bunga Beach and managed to land a nice salmon. I'm currently using a Butterworth surf rod (15ft I think) with an Abu 7000C overhead reel. The combination work well however there's one problem - lots of crabs at Bunga that constantly steal the bait.

I was talking to a local who was using a shorter, lighter surf rod (around 9-10ft) with a lure. The rod was a lot thinner and "whippier" than mine.

Just wondering what people would recommend for using with my 7000C in the surf with lures? I'm thinking of something around 9-10ft.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi @cps. Yesterday I was reading a feature article in this month’s Queensland Fishing Monthly about fishing Fraser Island.  The author was recommending an 11 foot rod for tossing lures in the surf. Specifically he named Assasin Asia Zero. They look pretty pricey and not sure if they come in an overhead model. I guess the takeout is that 11 foot is a better length.

BTW, is that one of the original red Abu Garcia C7000 reels made in Sweden? I still have one that I got 40 years ago and it is still strong as an ox and smooth as silk.

51 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi @cps. Yesterday I was reading a feature article in this month’s Queensland Fishing Monthly about fishing Fraser Island.  The author was recommending an 11 foot rod for tossing lures in the surf. Specifically he named Assasin Asia Zero. They look pretty pricey and not sure if they come in an overhead model. I guess the takeout is that 11 foot is a better length.

BTW, is that one of the original red Abu Garcia C7000 reels made in Sweden? I still have one that I got 40 years ago and it is still strong as an ox and smooth as silk.

No, it's all black. Can't remember when I got it - probably mid-90s. Made in Sweden and seems to be pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...