Electric Fence Netting

John

@John, I have been battling possums and scrub turkeys for years (ever since our dog died and we didn’t replace her). We have 2 mango trees that used to give us heaps of beautiful Bowen mangoes but now they don’t even get to the flower stage because possums eat the new shoots.  A couple of years ago I planted over $180 worth of annuals one day to wake up next morning to find them all eaten down to the roots.  I found the only thing I could do in the flower and veggie gardens was to build a chicken wire fence around the bed and then put bird netting over the top.  Looks a bit ordinary but keeps them out. Electric fences should be good too but I haven’t tried it. 

Now the bl00dy possums have just started chewing down the potted geraniums and anthuriums that I have on the verandah so looking at ways to stop that without netting. Tried blood and bone with no success. Tried hot chilli sauce - also unsuccessful. Going to try clove oil spray next. Any other tips appreciated. 

Good luck with it mate. It is a real battle.

• 2 months later...

This is a bit of an old post now but I’ve found that if you simply put some wire netting around your gardens without much support the possums won’t get in. They don’t like the wire swaying around under them. Another instance is I had possums eating my avocado leaves as soon as they appeared because the small tree was abutting a solid fence. I just wrapped some bird netting around the branches for about a foot above the fence and, once again, they haven’t touched a leaf since, because they don’t like the netting swaying around beneath them. They like a solid footing. Give them a fragile footing and they go elsewhere.