Haines 485sf Vs Galeforce 4.8

Benasi

Hey guys,

I already have a great CC offshore boat a Mako 234 cc with Twin 150's and I couldn't be happier with it, it was the biggest trailerable boat that was workable for me and so hard it hasn't let me down.  

However I do like all kinds of fishing and heading north to chase Barra over Summer and need something smaller for the Dam's and Rivers.

I have got it it down to a Haines 485sf vs Galeforce 4.8 with a 70 - 90hp 

Any advice good or bad would be great from previous or current owners of these models.  

Thanks in Advance.  

Hey @Benasi

I've been a passenger in both boats and own a 5.5 Galey (so compeltely biase dof course).  The Haines is probably a better riding hull as it's also a bit heavier from memory but has lower freeboard. In the bay I'd feel safer in a Galey but it can be a bit wet.

In the dams, maybe the Haines as it won't be so wind effected.

To be honest, both are great, the older Galeys are a bit rough around the edges but probably cheaper to buy.

The Galey can run pretty shallow (~ a foot), not sure about the Haines.

Norm

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 4.8m Galeforce and find it a good compromise for offshore and inshore. My good mate has a 485 and it is also a good compromise boat.

As previously mentioned, there is a noticeable difference in freeboard. I find both boats as wet as each other. The Haines is better finished and more options for layout, etc. Haines is more expensive.

I looked at both and freeboard was the deciding factor for me

Thanks