Quintrex Explorer Trophy Vs Hornet Trophy

Mowzeh

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I am looking at buying my first boat and am looking at either quintrex explorer trophy 385. This is in my price range and suits my fishing needs well. I have seen this mentioned elsewhere and the answer always seems to be to go for the hornet trophy as it is a better ride in the chop. I was hoping I could get some clarification on this topic. I will be fishing inshore only. If anyone is familiar with the areas, I will be fishing the Georges river, Port Hacking river and Parramatta river in Sydney. There can be the occasion when the wind gets up and there is chop on either of these systems (as well as having the regular ferries on the parramatta river). Can anyone give some guidance on these two hulls? If I can I would rather stick to the explorer trophy as that is in my price range, and if I was to go for the hornet trophy I would definitely have to stretch my budget.

If you have any questions for clarification please ask. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 hours ago, Mowzeh said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I am looking at buying my first boat and am looking at either quintrex explorer trophy 385. This is in my price range and suits my fishing needs well. I have seen this mentioned elsewhere and the answer always seems to be to go for the hornet trophy as it is a better ride in the chop. I was hoping I could get some clarification on this topic. I will be fishing inshore only. If anyone is familiar with the areas, I will be fishing the Georges river, Port Hacking river and Parramatta river in Sydney. There can be the occasion when the wind gets up and there is chop on either of these systems (as well as having the regular ferries on the parramatta river). Can anyone give some guidance on these two hulls? If I can I would rather stick to the explorer trophy as that is in my price range, and if I was to go for the hornet trophy I would definitely have to stretch my budget.

If you have any questions for clarification please ask. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the site Mowzeh

Stick to your budget dude and drive to the conditions at the time, as you said yourself there is only occasional chop and you might not be out fishing that day, better to upgrade your sounder then the boat in this instance in my opinion,  enjoy your boat and have confidence in your decision

MSB

1 hour ago, MSB said:

Welcome to the site Mowzeh

Stick to your budget dude and drive to the conditions at the time, as you said yourself there is only occasional chop and you might not be out fishing that day, better to upgrade your sounder then the boat in this instance in my opinion,  enjoy your boat and have confidence in your decision

MSB

I'd spend the money on the better boat, the hornets ride much better and can get you futher. Dont waste money on a sounder, they are all gimmicky and mostly rather pointless, you only need to know, where you are, depth, basic structure & presence of bait. Everything else is just an ****,

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind stretching the budget a little and going for the 400 Hornet trophy. From an initial search they are not that much dearer than the explorer trophy 385. Of course with both boats I'd be picking the right days for bay fishing (coming from a Hobie kayak I've learnt how to pick the right days).