Sign in to follow this  
Dinodadog

queensland Bass Go Deep

Sun was up bright and early yesterday, so the edge bite was down a bit.However there was still plenty of bass to be had jigging and trolling.Managed a few from the weeds on spinnerbaits, some casting blades and some trolling hardbodies.Sun ended up getting a bit hot ,so headed home early managing 34 bass no yellas.

Dino

Please login or register to view this attachment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By ellicat
      Got the old fella Ted @crazywalrus out for a session this morning. Put in at Manly and we were on the water at 5.30am.

Followed the last GPS track to spot X where we deployed our pilchards on 3 x 4/0 gang hooks about 5 feet under a float. Straight up a nice schoolie. Things were looking promising. Nothing much happened for awhile except for Ted catching some baby squire that were too young to have teeth.
      Now Ted, being the sporting type, likes to play with the silly string and fished two rods with 4 or 6 pound line. What could possibly go wrong ? Well everything did go wrong but I've ribbed him enough already, but let me just say I had a lot of tag ends on the boat floor when I cleaned it. There were a few missed hits and snip offs happening then the unweighted floating pillie went off on my Ugly Stick with 30lb braid. I jumped at the chance and it felt big and went on a little run. Then it didn't run but I couldn't get it up. I stuck at the game for about 15 minutes before giving Ted a go. Then I took it back until finally/thankfully the leader broke. My arm is now aching.
      Not too long after the bonito showed up. As my arm was too sore to keep casting I decided to catch two at a time to be more efficient.

There were a few boats around but no one was catching much other than small squire. The tide turned us around and eventually Ted hooked a nice schoolie and actually got it into the boat.

Please login or register to view this attachment Then I got another and then it was time to beat the wind back to the ramp where we divvied up the fish. Ted getting a few feeds while I opted to just keep the 2 bonito for bait..

Please login or register to view this image I'll throw up some video later.

• By Fishaman
      Managed to snag a solid 88cm flat one. 6lb braid 8lb leader. She put up a good fight and swam away without a problem. 

• By AUS-BNE-FISHO
      Hi all
      Here are the two reports from my weekend, and while not much happened they were still somewhat eventful. I am hoping you will not find this boring, but here goes!  
      Once the lines were in, baited with fresh, dead banana prawn, I set the gear up, got the net out, filled the bucket up with water, and threw the net. The first cast resulted in nothing, but in the next four casts I had two solid prawns in the bait tank. I chucked the salmon line out then, and began my long wait. While this was happening, I was talking to two people about a couple years older than me. One of them recognized me from the tennis competition I play in, so we had a chat (I think I've played him once or twice). He said he owns a house on the water, and he told me he'd caught a few bream, a few catties, and one thready. This was just in the duration he lived there I believe, as he said he didn't fish that much. I also told him what I'd caught there, but the thing I find funny is that the species list is becoming too long to remember.   
      They then left, so I gave the lines a quick bait check. They were all pickered, so I rebaited them all. I chucked them back out and set the drag. I then started to cast net a bit more, and to my surprise a whiting came up in the net. After a quick look at it, I noticed it was a Winter Whiting, so into the live bait tank he went. Here he is prior to being deployed - 
      He stayed in the bait tank for another uneventful 20 minutes, and then I checked my line. The prawn was off it, so I pinned him through the mouth like you would with a mullet and chucked him out. He seemed to stay put, so I did a bit more netting. I didn't really get much, but the prawns on the other line were still on. I then just sat around the top to have a bit of a relax and waited. 
      The fishing was very quiet, with no bites. Since it had been about another 20 minutes, I went down to the jetty to check on the whiting. I reeled it in, and to my surprise when I pulled him up, well, he/she was a mess. To give you an idea, look at the above and below images as a before and after  

Done!
      I am not sure what it might've been, but my initial thought was a little shark, as I have heard sharks will hit their baits from the tail first, not head first, like other fish do. From second thoughts, I realised it very well could've been a crab feasting on my live bait, or it even could've been baby breamv or something of the likes of that. I guess, unfortunately, I will never know, so I will just have to guess and hypothesize.  
      After that whiting, another live prawn was deployed. It would've been close to dark by now (around 5) so I starting tipping water on the jetty to get mud and gunk from the net off, and put the gear in the cart so it was ready to go. I made sure to keep the rods in though, just for good measure. In another few minutes of pacing around, the rods seemed like they could use a bait check. The two rods were pickerred, and I decided to keep the bottom one out so I had better chance. I re baited and re casted, and hoped something would take my bait in the last few minutes... 
      Well, that never happened and it looked like I was going to finish up with another doughnut. I sadly did, and then I trudged all the way home, dragging my fishing cart along. This was not before I decided to take a quick sunset snap of the relatively gloomy day, so at least the report had some pictures - 

That is it done and dusted, or the first one anyways, so here are the statistics of the trip - 
      Statistics of the trip - 
      Tide: Low, 11:30AM, .5M, High, 5:15PM, 1.7M
      Moon Phase: First quarter moon, so not that much run
      Air Pressure: 1019.8 - a bit lower than my better days have been
      Weather: Quite cloudy, light winds, gloomy
      Tackle used: 14lb and 30lb mainlines, braid, 30lb, 15lb fluorocarbon leaders, 80lb trace, size 2 and 6 ball sinkers, 4/0 circle and suicide hooks, large barrel swivel.  
      Bait used: Prawn, live and dead, and live winter whiting
      Bait caught: Winter whiting and banana prawns
      Fish caught: - 
      Overall success rate: 40% - Not to bad of a day out
      OK, that is the report done. I hope you enjoyed reading, and hopefully you aren't bored out and can't read the next. I hope QLD's COVID-19 cases stay at a minimum as well, and I hope everyone can get out for a fish soon.  
      OK, so here is report two. It was a bit more exciting than the first, and I had three of my mates with me, two who had never really fished before. 
      I met them at the train station at half past one, and we would've had our lines in the drink by about 2:00PM. The first cast I did I got zilch, but on the first cast I did on the jetty bait started rolling in. In about 5 casts, I had three solid mullet and about a dozen prawns, which I happily live baited on the lines. My mates were pretty happy with that, and then we could just sit and wait for a bit.
      Since there was no action in about ten minutes, and one of them kept bugging me to show him how to throw the net, I showed him. Giving him the best instructions I could, he only managed a figure of eight on the first throw, LOL. The second was a slight improvement, but then he decided to put the net down and fish for a bit. I gave the lines a bait check then as well, the mullet was still very lively and the prawns were actually still on, much to my surprise. 
      They were deployed again, and this time the wait was a bit longer. To keep myself from tiring out, I kept catching some prawns in the net. The best throw was three bigs ones, and, boy, they certainly make the net vibrate and pull A LOT for their size. By now, it was about 3:15PM, and with nothing happening, I was starting to think we might doughnut again. Luckily, the fish liked the live prawns and I saw the rod out in the middle of the river (or that area) getting pecks. I figured it was a perch, so I set the hook and told one of my mates they could pull it in. I suspected it was a perch, and I turned out to be right. A tiny one - 

I de hooked him, got my mate a quick pic (he's only caught a few fish in his life as he doesn't fish often) and then I chucked him back. He kicked off straight down, so another that was another successful release. Once he had dealt with that, everyone wasn't so bred again so I did some cast netting. Since the tide was absolutely rushing in, the net was a big effort. I also wasn't getting any bait, so I decided to give that a break for a few minutes. In that time though, one of the rods went off. To be specific, to cod rod did (no rhyming intended but it does ). I picked it up with haste but to my disappointment it had bricked us pretty good under/around the pylons. At the start, he was right stuck in there but with some rod maneuvering he started to come out. Then, whatever it was, took a run for structure... That had us done, and I could tell we weren't landing that fish, after about a ten minute wait, I started pulling the line out and eventually the braid snapped. That was a pity, because the fish (most likely a cod) felt pretty good. 
      After the liens were re rigged, I had a throw of the net off the jetty. I felt some vibrating in the net, so I thought I might have some prawns. When I pulled the net up though, I realised I had a little perch in it. After a quick photo (sorry it's not to good) I chucked it back in the drink and off he went. Here it is - 

After that, they were really shut down, or maybe we were just missing them. I know that the lines weren't getting pickered, because when I did bait checks there was still bait. My friends had to go now though, as it was pretty much four thirty (they wanted to be home before it got dark). I said goodbye, but just before this, my other mate (who normally comes fishing with me) said the rod I had positioned in the channel just went off. There wasn't a fish when we reeled it up though, just a headless prawn. Whatever it was (most likely a small perch) had completely missed the hook. 
      This was probably the last event to occur, as it was very quiet for the rest of the duration of my fishing. By about 5, it was getting a bit darker, so I knew it would be wise to load up the cart ready to go. Once this was loaded, I went down to check on the jetty rod. It seemed to be getting picked/pecked, so I picked it up and reeled it in. I assume the culprit was a bream, but both the mullet and the prawn which I had put on were gone. I guess some fish got an OK feed, but not me. I casted it out again, with the last big prawn and hoped. 
      To sum it up, nothing more happened. I left in the dark, miserable that I hadn't gotten anything good. I am also quite tired today as I went out mountain biking this morning (that is the reason I wasn't out this morning). Here are the statistics of the trip -  
      Stats of Trip - 
      Tide: 12:15PM, .4M, Low, 6:20PM, 1.8M, High. I fished the rising tide. 
      Moon Phase: First quarter, so not that much run.
      Air Pressure: 1019.9. Just realised I got today's air pressure for yesterday's fishing session, so you'll have to do without an accurate one for that one. 
      Weather: Wind, 3Km'h, Humidity 90% (not sure how accurate that is but that's what the weather forecast is saying), and partly cloudy. 
      Fish caught: River Perch x 2
      Bait caught: About two dozen prawns, Mullet x 3
      Bait used: Live mullet and prawns, dead prawns
      Time fished: 2:00PM-5:20PM or so
      Tackle Used: 14lb and 30lb braid mainlines, 80lb mono trace, 30lb and 15lb fluorocarbon leader, large-ish barrel swivel, 4/o circle and suicide hooks, size 2 and size ball/bean sinkers, size 1000 Shimano Sienna, Size 2500 Shimano Nasci, Size 2500 Diawa Shinobi, Size 650 Penn reel, 6'6" Ugly Stik and Rogue Firepoint rod, 8' Ugly Stik Rod.
      Overall Success rate: 60% - A nice afternoon. 
      OK, that is the double report done. I hope you all enjoyed reading, despite the fact it wasn't the most exciting session at all. I hope you can all stay safe with the virus. Please login or register to view this image Sorry for any spelling errors either. 
      Cheers Hamish

Please login or register to view this image
    • By Allnighter
      Well it's Snapper time in the bay again ☺
      Been looking at seabreeze for a couple of days now and really wanted to head out on monday, tuesday or wednesday this week but the wind factor doesnt look good. I rarely go fishing in the bay on weekends but today was the opportunity where conditions were too good to pass up. Headed to spot x on the eastern side of Green Island with the Yammy singing at WOT where they were on the chew straight up.
      Kept a couple for dinnies and returned a few in the 40cm or so range back down to grow for a year or two ☺
      Missed another two absolute horses, one while i was having a pee over the side (why does that always happen)
      Please login or register to view this image A good solo trip just 25 minutes from the ramp and look forward to a few more before 14th july ....

• By rayke1938
      2 score and 2 plus 3.

• Latest Topics

• Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links