Make Your Own Almost Indestructable Baitjig

davostephens

I got sick of putting a baitjig over the side at 4$ a pop and then torn to shreds in seconds,,,so i thought there must be a better way.

I try to get a northern species of yakka, But when the school macs are around or down south, the bonito.. your jigs dont last too long.

So i made this. I use wire on mine due to school macs. The wire is then albrite knotted strait to mono 50 lb. I use 3 jigs on my  but im sure you could go more. I use heavy gear i guess for bait because once one mac or trevally hit usualy more do.  Anyway it may be of use to someone. 

You need some nylon filament.. The stuff that goes on woghead lures for Spanish macs. (Good tackle shops should have this)

Lumo sleeves

40lb single strand wire..  ( if your making yours no wire then you will need a thicker wire to put hole in nylon melt {see below}, then remove, then poke your mono thru)

Hooks and mono of choice.  a lighter too. and bit of braid.

1- pinch of filament, couple colours if desired.. then tie bit of braid around bunch and slide to within 1 cm of end of bunch.. the braid gathers it together to allow easier melting of mono filament strands.

2- Burn the end of the filament bunch to melt together.. Do a couple of times. and while still not hard poke a piece of wire thru the middle of the burnt glob of nylon. {make sure glob isnt to large that the lumo sleeve wont jam over,)

3- put hook on wire with haywire twist. I put twist around hook shank to shorten the distance.

4- trim a lumo sleeve to desired size and slide over melted glob, filament and hook end.. Draw eyes on with pernament texta if ur keen.

5 -trim filament to desired length

6 - make a rig with charter loop knots or alike. say 3 loops and 2 tag ends that one goes to swivel and other to sinker.

7 - Albrite wire to mono. 

and there u go..

If your not using wire just poke the wire thru the melted glob..put bit wd40 on wire so dosnt stick to melted nylon. then pull out wire once set, leaving a hole to poke ur mono thru and tie on hook.

In these i put about 5 cm wire for toothys. and a mix of bluey purple filament and whit filament.. i trimmed both ends of the lumo sleeve to about 2-3cm total. Trim filament tail to size reqd.. i make long to begin with as it is easier to handle and burn.

I reckon theyed make ok fly fishing thingys. Im not a fly fisho.

I used this one night and instead of a lead i had a lucanus jig as the weight. Just with the boat bobbing a 8 kg cobia took the lucanus..Because the whole rig was sound and well made i got the cobia.. Later i caught 3 small barracuda on the jig that i kept alive and on dawn they were turned into spanish mackeral. Daylight has seen plenty of school macs have a go at it. 

anyway there easy enough to make.

If you do make some post a pic to see what else people come up with for bait jig material..

CCC286BD-6F1C-45CD-9870-A7248023B8BD.jpeg

19CEB439-437F-4756-B4CF-D87B7A1F8913.jpeg