New Member Interested In Fishing Moreton Bay

GregOug

Hi all,

Just joined. Based on Brisbane Northside. Just sold a 35 foot flybridge cruiser (thank goodness - never again) and have ordered a Stejcraft ss64. Not sure of delivery date yet but probably within two months. I am looking for a group/club interested in fishing Moreton Bay, or any tips/spots etc. Although I have been fishing the bay for close on forty years I now have more time on my hands, and intend to spend much more time out there.

Welcome to the forum mate. I just googled your Stejcraft - that's one slick looking rig, enjoy when it arrives!!  @Doyley may be able to advise on a northside fishing club that may be beneficial for you - I know he is part of one (Toorbul from memory) but not sure if you're after estuary fishing or more out in the bay (the latter I suspect).

Depending on where you launch from/intend to fish, it may also pay to keep an eye on these rolling reports http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2019/09/27/moreton-bay/  They are mainly for the central bay area around Green Island/Peel Island/Rous Channel but also the Sandhills area for whiting and school mackerel.

Thanks KM. Much appreciated. I will keep an eye on those fishing reports. Although, given the amount of wind we’ve been getting lately, I imagine they’ll be pretty succinct. 
With regard to the stejcraft, I decided to go with the new Mercury 200hp Pro XS, which should be a bit of a beast. V8. lolD22256B7-E880-440E-8414-45D4E161D02F.thumb.jpeg.4543cbe657c284134fd923d2bbed575c.jpeg

00285C0C-95E0-4071-BFB3-61F974A9780A.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up. I’m afraid the boat is going to have to put up with getting dirty at times. Hopefully it will mean I’m bringing a few keepers in. I used to fish Bribie passage and Moreton a lot when I was younger. I lived on Bribie for about 5 years. My house used to back onto Dux Creek before the marina even went in.

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, The Sloth said:

Hi Mate,

Just wondering if you ended up getting the SS64?

The reason I ask is that I have one too ... was wondering how it is working out for you? You made any mods for fishing etc?

Yes Sloth,

Bought a new ss64. Had it a couple of months now. Only real fishing mod I’ve bought so far is a bait board/rod holder which mounts on the ski pole.

cheers

Greg

Noice.

I have had mine for about 2 months now. First glass boat - Have always had tinnies. I sold a 5 m Stacer Crossfire and bought the SS64. Overall I am pretty happy. It rides OK in the bay (thought it might handle the short bay chop a bit better given the 21 degree deadrise). It hit's harder than the crossfire which has an awesome hull for a tinny. Have had a few quality control problems I need to get sorted...screws missing/falling out, cracked gel coat near foot well due to glass rubbing on glass, and a couple of other irritating things. I also got a Mercury V8. The engine is tops. Very happy with it. I'm going to get a trolling motor fitted (need to get some custom glass or stainless for that) and also put a removable casting deck up front. Overall - pretty happy. The rear deck is great for casting lures...The black hull and sides suit me because I like squid and the ink is not showing up on boat...

Cheers,

John

I’m happy with mine. The only annoying thing so far is the GPS which for some reason, doesn’t seem to work for auto-routing. But that is a Lowrance problem, not the boat. Be interested to hear how the trolling motor goes. I presume you mean a Minn-Kota or similiar.

• 8 months later...
On 22/05/2020 at 12:41 PM, The Sloth said:

Hi Mate,

Just wondering if you ended up getting the SS64?

The reason I ask is that I have one too ... was wondering how it is working out for you? You made any mods for fishing etc?

I'm thinking about getting one too, how do you find it handles choppy conditions? Trying to decide between this and a signature 620 BR.

On 22/05/2020 at 6:19 PM, GregOug said:

Yes Sloth,

Bought a new ss64. Had it a couple of months now. Only real fishing mod I’ve bought so far is a bait board/rod holder which mounts on the ski pole.

cheers

Greg

Mate just after some purchasing advice. Would you buy again? How does it handle the chop?

On 07/02/2021 at 11:48 PM, WilliBoaz said:

I'm thinking about getting one too, how do you find it handles choppy conditions? Trying to decide between this and a signature 620 BR.

Hi Willi,

I looked at both boats before I bought the SS64. I wrote an essay for you and thought I posted it but looks like something went wrong...

I'll try again.

Both boats are excellent. The 620BR has the SVDH hull which is one of the best around and rides very softly. The SS64 hull is longer and wider but not as soft-riding as the 620BR. It goes well in Moreton bay but you will need to drive to conditions as always when the wind picks up. Some guy sledged me at the ramp for taking a "ski boat" in the bay - told me to stick to the rivers. It was pretty rough that day. He got a 10 minute start on me but I must have passed him in the middle of the bay because he arrived at the beacons after me 🙂 and he looked wet and uncomfortable. That said, it is important to realise you won't be smashing your way comfortably at 30 knots in all bay conditions. You will have to slow down at times but both of these hulls can handle pretty much anything in the bay if you drive them appropriately.

The SS64 layout is far superior for fishing. I can fish 5 from mine very comfortably - casting lures. Two off the back, two off the front (I have a removable casting deck) and one in the cockpit.

The construction method for the SS64 is more modern and uses no wood and has ocean grip flooring for easy cleaning and maintenance. The 620 uses wood in the construction which makes for a nice riding boat but can lead to problems if there is water ingress. Also the flooring is not as versatile. They use carpet and if you want sea-deck, they cut out the carpet sections and put the sea-dek in so you have a mix of carpet up the walls and in the ski-locker and sea-deck on the floor. It is still nice underfoot but I hate carpet in a boat. It stinks and it stays wet and makes it hard to clean the boat. The SS64 shines in this regard.  

Neither hull is great for big game fishing. The SS64 is particularly unsuited because you can't reverse hard into chop without taking water over the back through the walkway. This could be rectified easily with a removable panel across the walkway.

For general bay, inshore, estuary and river fishing the SS64 is excellent. It doesn't look like a fishing boat on the trailer but it works well in the water.  I am adding some rails and handles to mine for Ram rod holders etc. It is currently being fitted with a minn Kota Ultra which should make it a fishing weapon...

The engine. Haines Signature are the dealers for Suzuki so most of the Haines dealers want to put a Suzuki on the boat. That's fine they are great motors. Most of the Stej dealers do Mercury. Now - I have always had Yamaha - but I put the Mercury 225 HP Pro XS on my SS64 and I can honestly say this is the single best bit of kit of any kind I have ever owned. You can't describe the grunt this engine has. You need to experience it. Everyone that comes on my boat is blown away by the acceleration - not just off the mark but if you punch the throttle at 80 kph you get pushed back in the seat. It also sounds good, although it is hard to be stealthy hence the minn Kota installation. At 60 kph mine is doing around 3200 rpm (i.e. motor barely working). I use the same fuel as on my old 5 m tinny with a 75 HP 4 stroke engine but getting everywhere in half the time. 

I looked at the 620BR and the SS64 and I am sure I made the right decision for me. I use mine primarily in the bay and in estuaries and sometimes offshore. It's great for fishing in these conditions and my wife loves the boat too. She nearly always comes for the ride - lazing up front while I fish down the back and with one or two other couples on board, it is still comfortable.

A couple of things I don't like about the SS64. The battery compartment is on the back deck which gets pretty wet. This is a design flaw as water can run around the seal and on to the battery. I moved the battery forward under the dicky seat behind the driver. I am going to install a custom live well under the rear hatch where the battery was. The floor should have been made flat rather than with all the funky raised sections. It is hard to stand and drive because there is not much floor space behind the wheel. I am thinking of getting that modified a bit so it is more comfy for standing while driving.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have. 

Cheers

S

Sloth - A great write up (from another SS64 owner). I've also drilled small holes in various places (on the step and also in the storage area under the port and starboard helm) to ensure water drains completely when hosing the boat out or if stopping too suddenly as it can get trapped in certain places otherwise.

Willi - would recommend getting a door installed on the port side helm section as it makes it much easier to access the storage compartment instead of taking out the bow cushions. There is enough room in there to install a 12 Marine Oven which I'm also thinking of doing.

2 hours ago, The Sloth said:

Hi Willi,

I looked at both boats before I bought the SS64. I wrote an essay for you and thought I posted it but looks like something went wrong...

I'll try again.

Both boats are excellent. The 620BR has the SVDH hull which is one of the best around and rides very softly. The SS64 hull is longer and wider but not as soft-riding as the 620BR. It goes well in Moreton bay but you will need to drive to conditions as always when the wind picks up. Some guy sledged me at the ramp for taking a "ski boat" in the bay - told me to stick to the rivers. It was pretty rough that day. He got a 10 minute start on me but I must have passed him in the middle of the bay because he arrived at the beacons after me 🙂 and he looked wet and uncomfortable. That said, it is important to realise you won't be smashing your way comfortably at 30 knots in all bay conditions. You will have to slow down at times but both of these hulls can handle pretty much anything in the bay if you drive them appropriately.

The SS64 layout is far superior for fishing. I can fish 5 from mine very comfortably - casting lures. Two off the back, two off the front (I have a removable casting deck) and one in the cockpit.

The construction method for the SS64 is more modern and uses no wood and has ocean grip flooring for easy cleaning and maintenance. The 620 uses wood in the construction which makes for a nice riding boat but can lead to problems if there is water ingress. Also the flooring is not as versatile. They use carpet and if you want sea-deck, they cut out the carpet sections and put the sea-dek in so you have a mix of carpet up the walls and in the ski-locker and sea-deck on the floor. It is still nice underfoot but I hate carpet in a boat. It stinks and it stays wet and makes it hard to clean the boat. The SS64 shines in this regard.  

Neither hull is great for big game fishing. The SS64 is particularly unsuited because you can't reverse hard into chop without taking water over the back through the walkway. This could be rectified easily with a removable panel across the walkway.

For general bay, inshore, estuary and river fishing the SS64 is excellent. It doesn't look like a fishing boat on the trailer but it works well in the water.  I am adding some rails and handles to mine for Ram rod holders etc. It is currently being fitted with a minn Kota Ultra which should make it a fishing weapon...

The engine. Haines Signature are the dealers for Suzuki so most of the Haines dealers want to put a Suzuki on the boat. That's fine they are great motors. Most of the Stej dealers do Mercury. Now - I have always had Yamaha - but I put the Mercury 225 HP Pro XS on my SS64 and I can honestly say this is the single best bit of kit of any kind I have ever owned. You can't describe the grunt this engine has. You need to experience it. Everyone that comes on my boat is blown away by the acceleration - not just off the mark but if you punch the throttle at 80 kph you get pushed back in the seat. It also sounds good, although it is hard to be stealthy hence the minn Kota installation. At 60 kph mine is doing around 3200 rpm (i.e. motor barely working). I use the same fuel as on my old 5 m tinny with a 75 HP 4 stroke engine but getting everywhere in half the time. 

I looked at the 620BR and the SS64 and I am sure I made the right decision for me. I use mine primarily in the bay and in estuaries and sometimes offshore. It's great for fishing in these conditions and my wife loves the boat too. She nearly always comes for the ride - lazing up front while I fish down the back and with one or two other couples on board, it is still comfortable.

A couple of things I don't like about the SS64. The battery compartment is on the back deck which gets pretty wet. This is a design flaw as water can run around the seal and on to the battery. I moved the battery forward under the dicky seat behind the driver. I am going to install a custom live well under the rear hatch where the battery was. The floor should have been made flat rather than with all the funky raised sections. It is hard to stand and drive because there is not much floor space behind the wheel. I am thinking of getting that modified a bit so it is more comfy for standing while driving.

Cheers

S

great read thanks. 

Got any photos of your rig? 

4 hours ago, The Sloth said:

Hi Willi,

I'll try again.

Cheers

S

Hi @The Sloth. As @Drop Bear said, great write up! A couple of things I have experienced differently to you. I haven’t had a problem with the battery compartment. I went for twin batteries so there is one to port and one to starboard. You are talking about the starboard setup. I agree that if you stop suddenly after really motoring, or back up into a following sea, water can come over the rear. Although this water doesn’t seem to get into the battery compartment as yours does. I like the idea of turning that area into a live well but you could do that and still leave the battery where it is. You could, and probably would have to, isolate the battery area from the live well. However, in the end, you would probably have to move the battery as you would be cutting off access to it when installing the live well. There is heaps of room so it would make a massive live well. 

I note you have already relocated the battery but it could also have been moved to the port side where my second battery is and which is very dry. 

The problem with the location of the driver’s seat was fixed between your iteration of the ss64 and mine. My seat is a bit further back which allows you room to stand without a problem when driving.

Not sure what you mean by ‘all the funky raised sections’ with regard to the floor. Mine is all the same height except for the one step up to the rear deck. Perhaps the earlier versions were designed differently?

Anyway, I am sure @WilliBoaz will love his new Stejcraft. 

cheers

Greg

2 hours ago, Rusty_Nail said:

Sloth - A great write up (from another SS64 owner). I've also drilled small holes in various places (on the step and also in the storage area under the port and starboard helm) to ensure water drains completely when hosing the boat out or if stopping too suddenly as it can get trapped in certain places otherwise.

Willi - would recommend getting a door installed on the port side helm section as it makes it much easier to access the storage compartment instead of taking out the bow cushions. There is enough room in there to install a 12 Marine Oven which I'm also thinking of doing.

Hi @Rusty_Nail. I am not sure how you are getting water in the storage areas under the helm. I use a high pressure washer on mine and have never experienced water getting in there. As for drilling holes in the fibreglass e.g the step, why would you do that? A half inch of water on a six inch wide step, which drys up in an hour or so, is hardly going to hurt the fibreglass or the ocean grip flooring. 

I don’t even understand what you are talking about with regard to installing a door on the port side. Where? What for? Taking out the bow cushions? Which storage compartment? There are numerous ones on the ss64. Just use another one.  I’m confused. 

3 hours ago, Rusty_Nail said:

Hi Rusty.

Thanks mate. Can you be more specific about the holes? Mine had holes inside the storage compartments in the console but they were blocked with gunk. I was about to drill some when I realised. I’ve thought about doing the same on the step too. Also in those little sections next to the driver and passenger seats that seem to serve no real purpose but to hold water. Did you put holes there too?

I forgot to mention one other slight annoyance of mine - there is a pretty strong fuel smell around the vent at all times and also in the hull. Never seen evidence of loose fuel when removing bungs or anything but even with the boat in the driveway I can often smell fuel in the house (the front door is a few metres from the boat. Do you find the same thing?

Cheers,

S

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

Hi @The Sloth. As @Drop Bear said, great write up! A couple of things I have experienced differently to you. I haven’t had a problem with the battery compartment. I went for twin batteries so there is one to port and one to starboard. You are talking about the starboard setup. I agree that if you stop suddenly after really motoring, or back up into a following sea, water can come over the rear. Although this water doesn’t seem to get into the battery compartment as yours does. I like the idea of turning that area into a live well but you could do that and still leave the battery where it is. You could, and probably would have to, isolate the battery area from the live well. However, in the end, you would probably have to move the battery as you would be cutting off access to it when installing the live well. There is heaps of room so it would make a massive live well. 

I note you have already relocated the battery but it could also have been moved to the port side where my second battery is and which is very dry. 

The problem with the location of the driver’s seat was fixed between your iteration of the ss64 and mine. My seat is a bit further back which allows you room to stand without a problem when driving.

Not sure what you mean by ‘all the funky raised sections’ with regard to the floor. Mine is all the same height except for the one step up to the rear deck. Perhaps the earlier versions were designed differently?

Anyway, I am sure @WilliBoaz will love his new Stejcraft. 

cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,

I posted a couple of photos. You can see where the floor is raised under the drivers and passenger pedestal seats in my boat. I would prefer it flat. If yours is flat through there then I guess Tim listened to feedback about that and changed it. I’ll probably get that altered at some stage.

I strongly recommend moving the battery from under that hatch in the rear deck. It is a serious design flaw. No battery compartment should have salt water rushing over the top of the hatch door no matter how good the seals. Mine was actually supplied to me with no rubber seal at all - see photo - which I had rectified straight away. One wash of salt over the back and I would have had a burnt out battery and been stranded in a brand new boat, possibly one fire. With the seal there is little or no ingress of water but rubber seals don’t last forever and you can be sure it won’t give way at the ramp. You’ll be out at one if the FADs off Moreton when it goes and it’s a long tow back from there. Even with dual batteries - salt on one will likely cause a burnout of the other as well as the computer in the engine...it is much safer under the dicky seat or put both in the ski locker.

I personally want to keep the ski ocker clear because I use it from my rods. i can keep 10 rods up to 7 and a 1/2 feet long in there which is tops. My wife doesn’t know how many rods I have because I can swap them out of the locker 🙂 

I think a live well is ideal for the rear hatch. It can be used as a wet locker or even an esky too. I don’t use bait so for me it would be mainly used to put fish in between landing and photos as well as to drop in squid. On the occasions when I forget the ice (happens a bit I am afraid) it will also provide a way to keep the catch fresh.

In any case - I am a serial boat customiser - probably why I never have any money for anything else. I usually spend a few years perfecting my set-up before selling the boat (usually at a large loss) and starting all over again...

Cheers,

S

IMG_7879.jpg

1 hour ago, The Sloth said:

Hi Greg,

I posted a couple of photos. You can see where the floor is raised under the drivers and passenger pedestal seats in my boat. I would prefer it flat. If yours is flat through there then I guess Tim listened to feedback about that and changed it. I’ll probably get that altered at some stage.

I strongly recommend moving the battery from under that hatch in the rear deck. It is a serious design flaw. No battery compartment should have salt water rushing over the top of the hatch door no matter how good the seals. Mine was actually supplied to me with no rubber seal at all - see photo - which I had rectified straight away. One wash of salt over the back and I would have had a burnt out battery and been stranded in a brand new boat, possibly one fire. With the seal there is little or no ingress of water but rubber seals don’t last forever and you can be sure it won’t give way at the ramp. You’ll be out at one if the FADs off Moreton when it goes and it’s a long tow back from there. Even with dual batteries - salt on one will likely cause a burnout of the other as well as the computer in the engine...it is much safer under the dicky seat or put both in the ski locker.

I personally want to keep the ski ocker clear because I use it from my rods. i can keep 10 rods up to 7 and a 1/2 feet long in there which is tops. My wife doesn’t know how many rods I have because I can swap them out of the locker 🙂 

I think a live well is ideal for the rear hatch. It can be used as a wet locker or even an esky too. I don’t use bait so for me it would be mainly used to put fish in between landing and photos as well as to drop in squid. On the occasions when I forget the ice (happens a bit I am afraid) it will also provide a way to keep the catch fresh.

In any case - I am a serial boat customiser - probably why I never have any money for anything else. I usually spend a few years perfecting my set-up before selling the boat (usually at a large loss) and starting all over again...

Cheers,

S

IMG_7879.jpg

Hi @The Sloth. Thanks for the photo. I can see why you were having a problem! My battery is nowhere near there. It’s tucked under the back floor and facing 90 degrees to yours. Also, my floor in the cockpit is flat so no problems with it. They obviously made some design improvements in the interim between us buying our boats. I do like the idea of the live well however I find that large space great for storing those big items like spare anchors, fenders, large landing nets etc. Also, my second battery doesn’t intrude on the ski locker space at all. It is also tucked up away under the rear deck. I also store all my rods in the ski locker. It is a great feature!

cheers

Greg

7 hours ago, The Sloth said:

Hi Willi,

I'll try again.

Cheers

S

Hi Sloth, I did receive your message, thought I had replied! I've decided to go with the 200 pro XS. Should be plenty.

Thanks for the detailed rundown, and also to @Rusty_Nail and @GregOug for the helpful repliesreplies. I agree about the awesome layout of the stej vs the signature. As far as the hull is concerned, I guess no boat is going to be amazing at everything.  I'm looking to use the boat at Poona and the Sandy Strait, so should be good enough.

Have you got any fuel consumption figures at cruising speeds? Already daydreaming and planning trips lol

2 hours ago, GregOug said:

Hi @Rusty_Nail. I am not sure how you are getting water in the storage areas under the helm. I use a high pressure washer on mine and have never experienced water getting in there. As for drilling holes in the fibreglass e.g the step, why would you do that? A half inch of water on a six inch wide step, which drys up in an hour or so, is hardly going to hurt the fibreglass or the ocean grip flooring. 

I don’t even understand what you are talking about with regard to installing a door on the port side. Where? What for? Taking out the bow cushions? Which storage compartment? There are numerous ones on the ss64. Just use another one.  I’m confused. 

I now realise what you are talking about. You are suggesting an access door from the walkway to the bow into the cavity behind the port helm. In my boat, the back cushion in the bow rider area is hinged and you simply open it to access that area. You don’t have to remove any cushions. Obviously another improvement they made in later builds.

5 minutes ago, GregOug said:

I now realise what you are talking about. You are suggesting an access door from the walkway to the bow into the cavity behind the port helm. In my boat, the back cushion in the bow rider area is hinged and you simply open it to access that area. You don’t have to remove any cushions. Obviously another improvement they made in later builds.

Yes, the builder Tim Catanese who I'm buying from mentioned the change in driver seat position and the different storage access in the newer version. They've ironed out a lot of little niggles over the past couple of years. 

Has anyone noticed the hinged part of the windscreen scratching the gelcoat where it rests in the open position?

3 minutes ago, WilliBoaz said:

Yes, the builder Tim Catanese who I'm buying from mentioned the change in driver seat position and the different storage access in the newer version. They've ironed out a lot of little niggles over the past couple of years. 

Has anyone noticed the hinged part of the windscreen scratching the gelcoat where it rests in the open position?

My boat is at the dealers at the moment so can’t check but from memory it has a rubberised stopper which rests against the windscreen and doesn’t touch the gelcoat? Not 100% sure though.

6 minutes ago, WilliBoaz said:

Hi @WilliBoaz, as Greg mentioned, on the hinged part there is a rubber stopper that prevents scratching which is effective as long as the stopper doesn't move up as it sits in a groove. I've been meaning to put something to protect the gel coat as a backup but haven't got around to it.

@GregOug, will share a pic tomorrow, but it is essentially what you mentioned above with respect to my comment on the door.

@The Sloth, I also had some slight fuel smell coming from the boat, but found it subsided after I tightened the clamps on the various hoses as some were a little loose. I also had to get Tim to change the fuel vent on the port side as the one installed originally was blocked.

I also found that 50mm driving light clamps attach nicely to the ski pole and have used those to mount a railblaza bait board and rod holders.

It certainly is interesting to see how the design of the SS64 is evolving, as I've got one of the earlier ones (delivered in Oct-19) prior to the recent tweaks to the design.

I've also found that the Esky that comes with the boat is too high so the seat cushion sits on the esky itself, but have found that a Dune esky from Anaconda fits quite nicely.

@WilliBoaz, one other thing to consider is getting Tim to install a 12V socket and USB ports in the port helm glovebox. Is very handy for charging phones and also when you need the 12V socket to pump up tubes etc.

One other SS64 that I saw at Hayden's last year when mine was in for a service had a water bladder installed with a pump.

1 minute ago, Rusty_Nail said:

@WilliBoaz, one other thing to consider is getting Tim to install a 12V socket and USB ports in the port helm glovebox. Is very handy for charging phones and also when you need the 12V socket to pump up tubes etc.

One other SS64 that I saw at Hayden's last year when mine was in for a service had a water bladder installed with a pump.

Yes @Rusty_Nail. Mine came standard with the 12V socket and two USB ports so @WilliBoaz’s boat should have those. 

54 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Sweet Ride! Does it even touch the water at full throttle? Yew!

Makes mine look like this! 

boat GIF

Thanks Drop Bear. Not sure about full throttle. Never had it wound out! I'm not a good enough driver - chine walking starts at about 85 kph. I know it does 90 at around 5000 RPM but that is where my nerve and my skill level both run out...

16 hours ago, WilliBoaz said:

Hi Sloth, I did receive your message, thought I had replied! I've decided to go with the 200 pro XS. Should be plenty.

Thanks for the detailed rundown, and also to @Rusty_Nail and @GregOug for the helpful repliesreplies. I agree about the awesome layout of the stej vs the signature. As far as the hull is concerned, I guess no boat is going to be amazing at everything.  I'm looking to use the boat at Poona and the Sandy Strait, so should be good enough.

Have you got any fuel consumption figures at cruising speeds? Already daydreaming and planning trips lol

Sorry Willi - haven't recorded any exact figures. Early on I worked out the approximate range when running between 45 and 60 kph (about 2900 to 3500 rpm from memory) you will get about 2km per litre so around 400 kms total range with 200 L fuel.

I tend to drive lots of short distances to set drifts so a lot of getting on plane which uses a bit more fuel but the engine does it so easy the fuel figures are still good. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You'd thing a 4.6 L V8 would chew the gas but they are amazingly fuel efficient.

200 hp will be identical to 225 except at the very top end where the 225 should (in theory) get a few kph more but it makes no difference because you can't drive those speeds in any conditions I encounter...I just bought the 225 because I always get the max horsepower but in this case I wasted my money...

Tim will probably fit a 19P 4 blade revolution prop. This gives incredible hole shot and acceleration. It's a really good prop for this boat-motor combination. In theory you might lose a couple of kph at top speed compared to a 3-blade but as I said above - it won't matter. If you were doing a lot of rough water work you could get a bit better ride by using a 3 blade prop in a design that gives a bit of extra slip. Then the prop won't drive the boat so forcefully into the waves but I prefer the 4 blade for most of the stuff I do. Be careful the first time you drive it near the ramp. Throttle is very touchy. 

I also fitted a launch and release system for driving on and off. Very glad I did. The boat goes on and off easy as and I can do it solo no problems in any conditions. Highly recommend this.

S

3 hours ago, The Sloth said:

Sorry Willi - haven't recorded any exact figures. Early on I worked out the approximate range when running between 45 and 60 kph (about 2900 to 3500 rpm from memory) you will get about 2km per litre so around 400 kms total range with 200 L fuel.

I tend to drive lots of short distances to set drifts so a lot of getting on plane which uses a bit more fuel but the engine does it so easy the fuel figures are still good. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You'd thing a 4.6 L V8 would chew the gas but they are amazingly fuel efficient.

200 hp will be identical to 225 except at the very top end where the 225 should (in theory) get a few kph more but it makes no difference because you can't drive those speeds in any conditions I encounter...I just bought the 225 because I always get the max horsepower but in this case I wasted my money...

Tim will probably fit a 19P 4 blade revolution prop. This gives incredible hole shot and acceleration. It's a really good prop for this boat-motor combination. In theory you might lose a couple of kph at top speed compared to a 3-blade but as I said above - it won't matter. If you were doing a lot of rough water work you could get a bit better ride by using a 3 blade prop in a design that gives a bit of extra slip. Then the prop won't drive the boat so forcefully into the waves but I prefer the 4 blade for most of the stuff I do. Be careful the first time you drive it near the ramp. Throttle is very touchy. 

I also fitted a launch and release system for driving on and off. Very glad I did. The boat goes on and off easy as and I can do it solo no problems in any conditions. Highly recommend this.

S

I agree with you @The Sloth. I’m fairly sure @ellicat worked out a figure of 2km per litre for mine as well when I first got the boat. I also agree that you won’t need all the power. I’ve never been able to wind mine right out either. I also have the 19P 4 blade revolution prop and think it really suits the boat/motor combination.And as @The Sloth also said, with that much power you need to watch your throttle use. It is very responsive.

I went with the cheaper launch and release system than @The Sloth did, called deckies.

On 09/02/2021 at 10:58 PM, GregOug said:

@GregOug - this is what I had installed to access the storage area without having to go through the bow. The back cushion in the bow is also hinged on my boat, however find this makes it easy to put larger objects in.

20210211_201257.thumb.jpg.be054e69f0eb6122b6e654721a4e724c.jpg