New Member Interested In Fishing Moreton Bay

GregOug

On 09/02/2021 at 9:06 PM, The Sloth said:

Hi Rusty.

Thanks mate. Can you be more specific about the holes? Mine had holes inside the storage compartments in the console but they were blocked with gunk. I was about to drill some when I realised. I’ve thought about doing the same on the step too. Also in those little sections next to the driver and passenger seats that seem to serve no real purpose but to hold water. Did you put holes there too?

I forgot to mention one other slight annoyance of mine - there is a pretty strong fuel smell around the vent at all times and also in the hull. Never seen evidence of loose fuel when removing bungs or anything but even with the boat in the driveway I can often smell fuel in the house (the front door is a few metres from the boat. Do you find the same thing?

Cheers,

S

@The Sloth - yes, I put holes in those otherwise water sits there for ages. They are very effective.

I also cut out some sections in the esky area to reduce pressure on the fuel cables - not sure if this is a problem in later boats as Tim did mention he modified that area a little.

20210211_201449.thumb.jpg.2cce7e75355e618b7d7bad49d6e6568a.jpg20210211_201122.thumb.jpg.49819816ba9f63f914caf6abbf10338e.jpg

On 10/02/2021 at 8:13 PM, GregOug said:

I agree with you @The Sloth. I’m fairly sure @ellicat worked out a figure of 2km per litre for mine as well when I first got the boat. I also agree that you won’t need all the power. I’ve never been able to wind mine right out either. I also have the 19P 4 blade revolution prop and think it really suits the boat/motor combination.And as @The Sloth also said, with that much power you need to watch your throttle use. It is very responsive.

I went with the cheaper launch and release system than @The Sloth did, called deckies.

In regards to props, I started out with a Enertia Eco 19P. Great performance, however it did provide a lot of stern lift, which created chine walking at high speeds and I found that I couldn't get anywhere near WOT rpm. I then went to the Rev4 19P, which as per others comments seems to be a good fit. I've also got a Rev4 17P on loan from Hayden that I'm testing out - initial perspective is that the 19P is still the best (albeit topping out at around 5500/5600rpm before boat becomes a little scary to steer), but the 17P does allow the motor to get closer to the WOT RPM range - I've had it up to 5800rpm on the Brisbane river without any problems.

4 hours ago, Rusty_Nail said:

@The Sloth - yes, I put holes in those otherwise water sits there for ages. They are very effective.

I also cut out some sections in the esky area to reduce pressure on the fuel cables - not sure if this is a problem in later boats as Tim did mention he modified that area a little.

20210211_201449.thumb.jpg.2cce7e75355e618b7d7bad49d6e6568a.jpg20210211_201122.thumb.jpg.49819816ba9f63f914caf6abbf10338e.jpg

Nice. I’m going to put some holes like that too. I had same issue with that panel in the back. I put some pieces of starboard in the corners to raise it 12mm to get it off the fuel. The supplied esky no longer fits but I use that space for my tackle bag. Also have an extinguisher and epirb mounted under there. I put the esky in the walkway. Fits nice there and I can stand on it and fish when the boat is loaded with people and space is at a premium...

In regards to props, I started out with a Enertia Eco 19P. Great performance, however it did provide a lot of stern lift, which created chine walking at high speeds and I found that I couldn't get anywhere near WOT rpm. I then went to the Rev4 19P, which as per others comments seems to be a good fit. I've also got a Rev4 17P on loan from Hayden that I'm testing out - initial perspective is that the 19P is still the best (albeit topping out at around 5500/5600rpm before boat becomes a little scary to steer), but the 17P does allow the motor to get closer to the WOT RPM range - I've had it up to 5800rpm on the Brisbane river without any problems.

Yikes! The throttle must be touchy with the 17. Yeah it’s great having the 21 degree hull in the chop but the sharp angle exacerbates chine walking. Need a lot of skill and nerve to steer against back and forth safely. Bass boats and ski boats generally have a flatter rear and so not as susceptible. I tried trimming down a bit more than normal but at high speed this just creates a new set of safety issues. Let me know what you decide with the 17. It would be good just for the purpose of putting the engine through its paces. 

On the battery side of things, this is how mine was installed. Some corrosion on the positive terminal, so am thinking about adding a cover to divert any water that comes in through the seal in lieu of relocating as still have plenty of storage access.

20210211_200950.thumb.jpg.d798e21e4673b326f125e7870a91ced0.jpg

Similar to my original location. I moved mine to the dicky seat compartment but I think the cover is a good idea too. Thinking about a cover for mine too just to protect from water when washing the boat etc. did you put that pad in the recess for the ladder? Good idea. What did you use?

On 10/02/2021 at 4:09 PM, The Sloth said:

also fitted a launch and release system for driving on and off. Very glad I did. The boat goes on and off easy as and I can do it solo no problems in any conditions. Highly recommend this.

Do you have any details on how to set this up? 

I have a 5m tiller and would like to drive it on solo but don't know how to do the roller/skid setup.

Also what catch system did you use and do you like/recommend it? 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Do you have any details on how to set this up? 

I have a 5m tiller and would like to drive it on solo but don't know how to do the roller/skid setup.

Also what catch system did you use and do you like/recommend it? 

Hi Drop Bear,

I have always had them fitted by the dealer but I can give you some info.

For a tinnie I would go with the Quintrex Catch and release. You add a hook to the front where the tow eye is and the rest is added to the trailer.

See

For a glass boat I would use the L and R system (which is what I have)

See the video here 

https://www.boatlatch.com

Both can be retrofitted.

With respect to the trailer - some trailers are designed specifically as drive on others - not. That said it is almost always possible to make a drive on trailer our of any trailer. Might need to add some bunks/rollers etc to help guide the boat which has to go on exactly the same way every time if the latch is going to work.

"All About Trailer Repairs" at Beerburrum did some work on a mate of mine's trailer to improve drive on/off and I believe he is happy. They (or someone similar) should be able to advise on what your trailer needs.

I have no affiliation to any of these businesses - just providing them as examples.

Hope that helps

John

11 hours ago, Rusty_Nail said:

@GregOug - this is what I had installed to access the storage area without having to go through the bow. The back cushion in the bow is also hinged on my boat, however find this makes it easy to put larger objects in.

20210211_201257.thumb.jpg.be054e69f0eb6122b6e654721a4e724c.jpg

That's awesome. Just put it on my list of things to do!

Also I started a thread for SS64 mods to try to get them all collated in one place. We should move the conversation to there - what do you reckon?

Rusty nail said  - this is what I had installed to access the storage area without having to go through the bow. The back cushion in the bow is also hinged on my boat, however find this makes it easy to put larger objects in.

I just bought some of these. Waterproof, you can label them with the contents and they come in different colours and sizes from about 10 litres up to 50 litres.

B7D07806-F936-4CA9-85F3-83AE26E3F37E.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I'm also tossing up between a Stejcraft SS64 and a Haines Signature 620BRX, but my reasons are a bit different as I'm mostly going to be using it for skiing and occasionaly fishing.  From my perspective the larger lounge seating in the 620BRX makes more sense than the smaller lounge in the SS64.  The walk-thru area in the SS64 also wastes a potential extra seat in my opinion and there is a heap of wasted room out the back.  (I understand these issues may actually be considered features by those using the boat purely for fishing.)

So my main question is, which boat is actually better to ski behind.  I am a fairly good skier and have my own course that I can set up in the local river.  I'm returning from the dark side (inboard boats) as an outboard is far better suited to salt water tidal rivers with currents and sandy banks that destroyed 2 prop shaft seals within 3 months on my last inboard.  Not to mention the bent prop shafts from currents pushing the boat over submerged banks.

Really looking forward to getting an outboard again after 10 years.  So I guess the one with the best (flatest) wake at 32+mph wins my business.

7 hours ago, Woosha said:

Hi guys, I'm also tossing up between a Stejcraft SS64 and a Haines Signature 620BRX, but my reasons are a bit different as I'm mostly going to be using it for skiing and occasionaly fishing.  From my perspective the larger lounge seating in the 620BRX makes more sense than the smaller lounge in the SS64.  The walk-thru area in the SS64 also wastes a potential extra seat in my opinion and there is a heap of wasted room out the back.  (I understand these issues may actually be considered features by those using the boat purely for fishing.)

So my main question is, which boat is actually better to ski behind.  I am a fairly good skier and have my own course that I can set up in the local river.  I'm returning from the dark side (inboard boats) as an outboard is far better suited to salt water tidal rivers with currents and sandy banks that destroyed 2 prop shaft seals within 3 months on my last inboard.  Not to mention the bent prop shafts from currents pushing the boat over submerged banks.

Really looking forward to getting an outboard again after 10 years.  So I guess the one with the best (flatest) wake at 32+mph wins my business.

Welcome @Woosha. I doubt you will find anyone who has experience with both boats, so you may not have much joy on here. It sounds like you already have a couple of reasons why the Signature might suit you better. Good luck with your decision.

15 hours ago, Woosha said:

Hi Woosha,

As Greg says no one here has had both so a bit hard to say. Worth keeping I'm mind that neither are ski boats. They both have a 20+ degree deadrise at the transom which means they both pull a decent wake. I would say both would be more suited to wakeboards than skis especially with a full boat and it sounds like you want get a few people in there. The BRX has a nice wrap-around lounge in the rear as well as the space up front (which is a bit smaller than the front space in the SS64). The lounge area in the BRX is nice but the space outside the back of the BRX is tiny though (just a couple of boarding platforms) so not much room to maneuver with skis etc although perhaps you do all that in the water. I do find the back platforms of the SS64 great for swimming off as there is space to get dry before coming in to the cockpit plus no standing on the rear seats is good too. I spoke to Tim at Stejcraft about the possibility of making a removable seat that slots in the walkway area to complete the wrap-around seating in the SS64 for days when you just want to cruise with lots of people on board. He said it would be easy - so you could always ask him about that. The SS64 with a wrap around rear seat would have significantly more room than the BRX because the boat is a bit wider and longer.

If you go the SS with a Merc you would need to raise the height of the ski pole - I don't think the standard height is high enough with the high cowl of the Merc engines. Could be true for the BRX too with a Merc but most of the dealers put Suzukis on the Signatures and the cowl sits much lower on those.

You would be happy either I think but of the two boats I think the BRX is probably better for what you want to do. No customizing necessary. Good resale value too.

Lastly both have modern design and construction. Unlike the 620BR the BRX has a full molded top insert (not sure what it is called) as does the SS64. The signature hull is really good and their quality control is pretty good too. Most people that get them are happy with them...

Hope that helps,

S

• 1 month later...

Chaps, after some advice, having  received some bad news.... I've posted earlier in this thread and as I said before I've ordered the SS64 with a 200hp V8 Merc proXS.  Boat was supposed to be ready by end of this month. 

Boat will be used for mixture of day cruising, skiing, wakeboarding, fishing, all the good stuff.

Sadly, Tim from Stejcraft has now told me he can't get the V8 until December. He can however get me a V6 200hp 4-stroke. 

My main priority with wanting the V8 is having the ability to  pull a slalom skiier out of the water with a boat full of family plus gear. I'm not at all interested in top-end speed, especially not after hearing about the chine walk etc. 

Do you reckon I'll miss the extra displacement if I go with the V6?

Looking forward to hearing your learned opinions...

51 minutes ago, WilliBoaz said:

Chaps, after some advice, having  received some bad news.... I've posted earlier in this thread and as I said before I've ordered the SS64 with a 200hp V8 Merc proXS.  Boat was supposed to be ready by end of this month. 

Boat will be used for mixture of day cruising, skiing, wakeboarding, fishing, all the good stuff.

Sadly, Tim from Stejcraft has now told me he can't get the V8 until December. He can however get me a V6 200hp 4-stroke. 

My main priority with wanting the V8 is having the ability to  pull a slalom skiier out of the water with a boat full of family plus gear. I'm not at all interested in top-end speed, especially not after hearing about the chine walk etc. 

Do you reckon I'll miss the extra displacement if I go with the V6?

Looking forward to hearing your learned opinions...

Hi Willi, I've got the V8, so unfortunately can't comment on the performance of the V6.
However, on quick search of "the hull truth" forum, there are a few threads where people have asked similar questions. A quick scan didn't seem to come up with anything that might help, other than that the V6 seems to have decent hole shot from some user comments.
Is there any way you can get Tim to give you a test drive with the V6?
I would be happy to take you for a run on the Brisbane River with the V8 if that will help.

8 minutes ago, Rusty_Nail said:

Hi Willi, I've got the V8, so unfortunately can't comment on the performance of the V6.
However, on quick search of "the hull truth" forum, there are a few threads where people have asked similar questions. A quick scan didn't seem to come up with anything that might help, other than that the V6 seems to have decent hole shot from some user comments.
Is there any way you can get Tim to give you a test drive with the V6?
I would be happy to take you for a run on the Brisbane River with the V8 if that will help.

Thanks Rusty. I saw the stuff on Hull Truth and agree it's inconclusive. 

My gut feeling is not to compromise on something that I'm planning on keeping for a decade or more. The last thing I need is a decade of regret because I didn't wait a few extra months. 

Re: your offer of a ride in the V8, I might actually take you up on the offer. It just so happens I've got 6 weeks of long service leave coming up - originally I had planned on using the time to get to know my new boat 😢. Anyway, I'll have some free time. Whereabouts are you located?

1 hour ago, WilliBoaz said:

Thanks Rusty. I saw the stuff on Hull Truth and agree it's inconclusive. 

My gut feeling is not to compromise on something that I'm planning on keeping for a decade or more. The last thing I need is a decade of regret because I didn't wait a few extra months. 

Re: your offer of a ride in the V8, I might actually take you up on the offer. It just so happens I've got 6 weeks of long service leave coming up - originally I had planned on using the time to get to know my new boat 😢. Anyway, I'll have some free time. Whereabouts are you located?

We're on the Northside, so normally put the boat in at Jindalee boat ramp if skiing/wakeboarding, or Shorncliffe if heading out on the bay. 

• 2 months later...