Free Jighead at Hamilton.

ellicat

A late \"stuff it - I need to wet a line\" decision and a couple of PM's saw me and Malcolm hit the river for a session last night.

We put in at Colmslie about 5.45pm with a feed of fresh prawns for dinner.

Before heading out Mal showed me his castnetting skills. His third throw opened really nicely and was almost a complete circle:P :laugh: . Just jokes. Didn't get anything, but we had plenty of lures and fresh bait for the ensuing assault.

Neither of us had bagged a river jewie before so that was to be the nights main target. With that in mind we decided to attack the pilons around hamilton first:blink: . We ran a drift along the pilons with Mal using SPs with a baitcaster and me using a nice tasty looking squid bait on spinning outfit. Mals a dab hand with the baitcaster, which I commented on early. I think it was only two casts later and he was on! Rod bent, line taut, and the SP firmly implanted in the top of the wharf:woohoo:

The whole drift took us about an hour and a half with the end result being 2 catties (one kept for livebait) and 1 pilon which busted Mal off without even a run:silly: . One of the highlights of the drift was Mal responding to a greeting from a woman hanging over the rail at the shipping terminal (?), before realisng she was just talking on her mobile:blush: :laugh:

We then motored downriver to the jew spot where I set the live cattie off the bow on the shark rig and then settled back with a jew rig (one FOTM-sized whiting and a large tiger prawn on the two dropper loops) siiting in a rod holder and each of us with a smaller rig in hand. Mal opened the account with a keeper size breambo, followed by a close to legal squire. My jew rig went off and with much excitement I began to work it in. Plenty of weight and expectation and then whatever it was went to ground or around a snag :pinch: I played the waiting game for a while and then gained a little bit on it:cheer: before it stopped again and then busted:( :pinch:. I had said a few forbidden words and thought a whole lot more. Mal didn't say much :whistle:

Mal then had his rig attacked hard for a about one second before coming up short with no terminal tackle left. We both then had a couple of similar occurences after short decent fights and what we initially suspected were pike eels, but later decided were without doubt large estuary cod;)

My jew rod, again baited with a 30+cm whiting and large Tiger prawn went off for a second time and headed for the mouth of the river. Unfortunately this was also the direction of the anchor rope and chain where I later recovered some of my braid:( :( :( . After this I temporarily retired the jew outfit, and we moved on with thoughts now turned to threadfin.

Anchoring a little nearer to the mouth, baits were deployed again including the live cattie, ex-jew rig now setup for a threadie and hand rods. It sounded like the cattie had a few nervous moments but lived until his release to the crabs later in the night. The threadie rod went off with the end result being a large and heavy cattie.

In between this though the action was almost non stop on the hand rods. :woohoo: Just after we anchored Mal was onto a bl@@dy lively fish which gave a little air close to the boat, but too hard to call in the dark. :ohmy: He landed it shortly after. We were then both hooking up to them one after the other like tailor fishermen at Indian Head. Neither of us had ever seen them go off like this before...so many of the suckers. They varied from about 18 to 30 inches.B)

What a pity they were all shovellys:unsure:

With a few yawns starting to appear we headed for home and stopped under the gateway for a final few casts. No joy there, so decided to do a quick troll along the mangroves. Before pulling the anchor Mal had one more cast his baitcaster. 10 or 15 minutes later and with a fine display of advanced macrame on his reel we decided to give the troll a miss:S and head to the ramp. This was the exact time the heavens opened. They lasted from the time I stuck my head out to pull the anchor until the boat was on the trailer and we were both drenched :evil:. Then they shut again to tie down the boat and drive home at about 2am.

All captures were released (willingly and otherwise) and no pics to ensure their privacy:blink:

Not a dull moment all night and Mal was great company and a willing deckie. I still find it unusual to not be doing everything myself though;)

Thanks Mal for a most enjoyable night and for posting your thread on where to go for a fish;) :)

Thanks bootyinblue,

Mal left his jighead (and SP) on the wharf at Hamilton due to a \"miscast\". Someone walking past will be able to pull it out and stick it in their pocket.

I was kinda glad it busted off. If it had've freed itself I'm sure it would have been implanted somewhere between my left eyeball and the back of my skull:woohoo:

bootyinblue wrote:

Only you could make a crap sounding, reain drenching, tackle losing, fishing session appeal as so entertaining.

I still cant work out the title though?

The title if you want a free jig head go to hamilton and dig it out of the pylon

chubbstar wrote:

:woohoo: Well you finally got out mate, about time :P

Did ya hide in the bottom of the boat when you spoke with the mobile phone lady :blush: .

Could'nt be anything but a fun trip with you going.:laugh:

I can feel a Pin trip with you and Booty comeing on :huh:

Jayson

Bugger the Pin mate...I wanna chase dolphins at Wello HAHAHAHA

Who nose (pun) - we might get lucky and they wont show up next time;)

Thanks Brian for the trip.it was a lot of fun with plenty of action and mishaps:laugh: I look foward to our next one,I'm sure we will come up trumps or at the very least laugh like hell.Thanks again and by the way I spent the last hour detangling that b*****d baitcaster and it worked:cheer:

Malcolm wrote:

Thanks Brian for the trip.it was a lot of fun with plenty of action and mishaps:laugh: I look foward to our next one,I'm sure we will come up trumps or at the very least laugh like hell.Thanks again and by the way I spent the last hour detangling that b*****d baitcaster and it worked:cheer:

Didn't get the wife onto it afterall hey???:laugh:

ellicat wrote:

Malcolm wrote:

Didn't get the wife onto it afterall hey???:laugh:

Haha no mate,it was lucky she and the kids where out or the kids would have learnt a new language

Archived