New Reel In The Drink

It shouldn’t really hurt it. They are designed for salt water. I know reels are manufactured to a different standard these days but I have dozens of reels which are 10-20 years old, been submerged or covered in salt water, and are still fine today. I think leaving your drag set to a high setting does more damage. The drag washers get compressed and stop working over time.

In fact I used to leave my rods propped up in the sand, without a rod holder. Waves would eventually erode the sand and they plopped over and into the drink. You washed them out in the surf, gave them a quick rinse with the hose when you got home and put them away until next time. If any of your reels show any signs of rust they are sh-t!

• 1 month later...

G'day bulldogs195461

Like GregOug said, wash it off and it should be fine. Whether it means wiping the salt and sand off or washing it under the hose, i think they work.

I actually own a Shimano Nasci and i must say they work great. After a rinse, you should put drops of oil in the parts that spin and WD-40 the spool.

These should work as long as no salt or sand got into any bearings. Then, you probably should take it to a reel service (like ellicat says) to get it out because if you leave salt water in the bearings they will rust (happened with my Shimano Sienna and after it got oiled and wiped by the bloke at the tackle shop it worked well again).

Cheers Hamish