Recipes And What To Do With Undesirable Species

AUS-BNE-FISHO

let shovels go. Like eating sawdust.. U must be hard up for a feed if your keeping them. The big bastard species from north qld are meant to be ok.. The little ones im assuming you caught(brown type) got bugger all meat on them.

Pike aka buzz saw whiting,, Mate they are the best live bait for king and jew. Eating wise they are ok/edible. Quite soft. Just fillet and fish and chip, or bbq and lemon and salt.

Hi davostephens

Thanks for those tips on shovel nose, though i was fishing on the central coast so i caught a decent sized one with white spots i think. I've never tried using pike as livebait before, but if i do catch one that is a good size i'll certainly give it a crack. If i catch another i might see how it tastes, but thanks for the tips.

Cheers Hamish

Pike also make a great cut bait for a large variety of fish (bream, snapper, reef fish, etc). The shovel nose with the spots are meant to be the better eating ones - we kept a large one years ago and the flesh was firm and white and taste fine - we turned the majority of it into curries and it was good for this.

I kept a very large catfish from Moreton Bay that my dad is going to smoke so I'll report back with how it tasted but I'd think it should be fine.

Thanks for those tips, kmcrosby78

I didn't know pike had some many uses other than shark bait lol. I s'pose they would make a good bait because they are very oily. From what I've heard, most sharks are good in curry - but with shovel noses, would you still chop the tail of or just bleed it normally? 

I'm curious to here how catfish taste, i catch a load of 'em normally in the Brisbane River (but i wouldn't eat them) - smoking it sounds like the best way to cook.

Cheers Hamish

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 6:01 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey kmcrosby78

How was that catfish you smoked up?

Cheers Hamish

Dad ended up being a guinea pig and frying a piece in a frying pan and reported it taste fine, so we fried some up to have in fish tacos. It was edible, but certainly not the best fish I have eaten, mainly because the texture was a bit spongy. Will try smoking it next time and try to remember to report back.

51 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Dad ended up being a guinea pig and frying a piece in a frying pan and reported it taste fine, so we fried some up to have in fish tacos. It was edible, but certainly not the best fish I have eaten, mainly because the texture was a bit spongy. Will try smoking it next time and try to remember to report back.

Not in the same class as grinner, hey @kmcrosby78.