Reef Fishing S E Queensland

Randall B

G'day Randall

Are you a bait or lure fisho?

If you're using bait, i don't think you can go past some pillies. Chuck one on some gang hooks and either send it down on a paternoster rig or float it behind the boat with a torpedo float. Use about 50cm of wire that is quite light but not to (mackerel will bite right through). I've never done this before, but that should be the go. If you want some more pelagics, check out some of the FADS on the GC, and chuck a line out for Mahi Mahi (Dolphinfish). Use live bait such as live slimy mackerel or yakkas (yellowtail). As well as this, i know on some of the reefs you can get cobia (black kingies) and a mixed bag of reefies. Sorry, i know that gets a bit off topic but in the Redcliffe area, I'd go with pillies for reefies or mackerel. 

If you're using lures, i suggest checking out the measured mile in Moreton Bay. Here's a Team Madmullet Productions video that should get you started: 

In general, I'd go with metals and spinning lures, and you might get the odd hit on a jig.

Cheers Hamish