Offshore Tweed Heads

tugger

Went through the Tweed river bar a couple of mornings ago and out to the Fad. 1st drift we had a double hook up and my friends 2 kids caught their  1st dolphin fish. Next drift was the same double hook up and dollies jumping around us.

The new boats arriving drove fast straight up to the Fad and spooked the fish so it all went quiet. We decided to move back to the 9 mile reef where it was a lot calmer. 1st drift my friends son hooked up to a good snapper and after a dogged fight he reeled in his 1st snapper and a beauty at 66cm.

20200106_084652.thumb.jpg.2f22ea8582a8f6ecc95e2a00c62e57a6.jpg

The bottom went quiet so we trolled around the 9 mile reef for some pelagic hoping for a Spanish or marlin but it wasn't to be.

We called it early and went back to the camp and filleted our catch. A big bbq fed plenty of family and friends at camp that night.

IMG_8395.jpg.1b0030cd0b09ab62e872d9656d7ef092.jpg

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

How do you do the cook up, Mark? Fillets straight on an oiled barbie plate? You should have some sort of deal with the other campers where you keep bringing in the fish and they keep your camp esky full of beer and ice. 

Yeah Steve fillets dusted in wholemeal flour on a well oiled  bbq plate with a squeeze of lemon just before they come off the bbq. The deal is they organise the chips and salad and keep a beer in my hand while I fillet and cook.

11 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G'day tugger

That's some superb pelagic and bottom fish you and your mates hauled up there. Do you ever bottom bash for species like trag and other reefies?

Cheers Hamish

I have caught trag and plenty of other reef species over the years I am just a tad addicted Hamish

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

He's got me by 6cm ......... 😞 (caught in the same boat ..... 🙂). Nice work there Mark although a shame to next boat drove straight up and put the dollies down. Have you gone through the Tweed Bar before?

Thanks Kelvin I have been through the Tweed bar plenty of times it's alright typical bar stands up on a big run out tide with a decent swell running.