AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

With the last few sharks I've caught, I've found it to be very hard to de-hook them, because as well as the hook being wedged good in it's mouth, the things are flopping around like no tomorrow (probably trying to get there jaws on my hand 😉). 

Does anyone have any methods/tools that help getting the hook out?

Cheers Hamish

Not a bad idea to have a hessian sack (any fruit shop should have one) to throw over the shark so that you can hold it down with a bit more confidence. Any tackle shop including BCF will have various hook de-gougers but I like elicat’s  idea of the broomstick handle. Nice and solid and long enough to keep your hands well clear of those jaws!

couple of things mate

1. dont be afraid to make a small cut in the side of the mouth where the hook is to get the hook out. in my eyes, getting the hook out and shark back in the water fast is the most important thing. So a small cut to release the hook fast is a good option

2. depending on the shark size, use your body weight to control the shark. so you can basically have the shark between your legs with a knee on each fin. you will have complete control over the shark and it wont be able to bend around to bite you. (ill try to find a picture of this)

3. otherwise, just pin it on top of its head and push with all your force to pin it on the ground. (ill post a pics up of this too)

once youve got control of it, then juse pliers, dehookers etc to remove the hook. ive found that pliers are fine, just takes a bit of shaking to get it loose sometimes. the smaller sharks are more dangerous in my opinion, they can bend back on themselves alot faster and easier than bigger sharks.

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G'day christophagus 

Thanks for those tips, they seem very efficient. The smaller ones do seem a lot more dangerous too. I've never really restrained them that well before, so I'll start trying to do that a bit more 🙂 and making cuts in there mouth. 

Cheers Hamish

i only ever make the cuts in the mouth if the shark seems really tired and i want it back in the water fast, or as a last resort. i do prefer to just remove the hook but sometimes it isnt that easy. Just make a judgement call on each capture. Just be super careful when you are up close with the knife, those little bullies are deadly quick!