Fishing Near Green Zones That Border Shoreline

Ryannnnnnnn

Hello,

Just want to clear something up about fishing near, or i guess on the border of green zones that run along banks.

Using the below examples, the greenzone looks to run along the bank of the bay islands.

- Does this mean, that I cannot stand along the bank and cast out into the water?

- Can I be in my boat, and cast towards the bank?

image.png.0bfb54616b56c97fef4b2ce9c03f8ff3.png

image.png.bd510f7ed04d93fc86a6b3c030fe1545.png

Apologies if it seems like silly questions - I just want to be clear and do the right thing.

Cheers

Hi Ryan,

An example might be easiest. If you are in a boat sitting on the edge of a green zone and cast into the water on the opposite side of the boat to the green zone you are technically okay. But if you cast into the green zone you are not. Having a fishing apparatus anywhere in the green zone will place you on the wrong side of the law. So no, you can’t cast from the bank into the green zone, and you can’t cast from your boat towards the bank into the green zone. In reality, I have been told that they have radar monitoring all of Moreton Bay and if they see a boat which appears to be in, or very close to, a green zone for any length of time, they send fisheries officers out to investigate. All of the above is my understanding, however I am not a lawyer and don’t pretend to me. 
cheers

Greg

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi @Ryannnnnnnn.  I remembered reading something about the Swan Bay green zone recently.  I found it here https://flatheadclassic.com.au/swan-bay-green-zone/  Hopefully this will give you some good info.  

Great find Steve, explains it well 🙂 I remember years ago seeing tuna busting up inside the green zone on the northern side of Peel and was tempted to throw towards them from just outside the Green Zone but being the honest bloke I am I refrained, looks like I made the correct decision 🙂