Lures And Artificial Bait

GregOug

Hi all,

Went to BCF for something to do today while waiting for the new boat to arrive. Sigh. Must say I was shocked when I saw the number and range of lures and artificial bait available these days! How in the heck do you pick one new lure out of literally thousands. And don’t get me started on the choice available in artificial baits. The same manufacturer has bait in pouches, bait in screw top jars, large packets, small packets, floating in liquid, not floating in liquid etc etc. Then there were gulps, zmans, blah blahs, blah ba blah blahs. Anyway you get the idea. Now I already have more lures and even artificial baits than I know what to do with but It got me to thinking, what do you think are your best 3 lures (any type or application) and the 3 artificial baits you would recommend members should definitely have in their tackle boxes? Be interested in your replies.

Hi GregOug

The number of lures is massive, I'm just remembering staring at them in amazement when I was a bit younger 😉

The three lures I'd go with are soft plastics, probably the best and most easy lure to hook a fish on these days, hard bodies and metals. While I've tried heaps with lures, my best capture has been a 50cm dusky flathead from the Brisbane River. Here;s all I know on lures though, and it should be a basic guide to what lures you'd want for around here.

Soft Plastics - When using soft plastics, these lures are extremely versatile. For around here, you can flick them around 99% of structure and they will catch most bread and butter species as well as the chance of a nice mulloway (jewfish). I'd say the best SP brand would be Zman, and I'd normally have one or two packs and some jig-heads ready if I go on a fishing trip to the GC, SC, etc. Flick them around oyster racks, pylons and jetties and as well as those species, you could get the iconic gold coast Mangrove Jack. Use your standard spinning rod (not to heavy) with 10-20lb fluorocarbon leader. While it does take persistence, lures will hook you up to some very good fish. Good Locations: Pylons, Sand Flats, Deep Holes, Oyster Racks, Jetties, Moored Boats, Rock Bars, etc. Also be ready to loose a little bit of tackle every now and then when fishing in more snaggy terrain. 

Hard Bodies - Hard bodies are a great lure, and can be trolled as well as flicked. They will land you most of the same species, and same tackle/gear as soft plastics. I have never trolled, but I would troll along rock bars and sand flats. Have a flick around creek run off's and rock bars too. Lures from Rapala are normally good hard bodies.

Metals - These lures are great for flicking for tailor, salmon, mackerel and tuna. Around rock wall towards the mouth of rivers would be where I'd use them.

Also,  sorry, I don't have experience with most of this stuff, but from what I hear these are the sure-fire tactics. I'm sure someone will be able to correct me if I'm wrong, as well 🙂

Cheers Hamish

Don’t worry Hamish,

You obviously are super keen and spend a lot of time reading about and researching fishing. That is a good thing. At your age you can’t have the broad experience that a lot of the other guys and gals on here have. But you have the advantage of knowing the latest tactics, gear and theories and the drive to try them out. I was really looking for examples like “ I would always have a Rapala whatever in red and white for pelagics, a chrome spoon and a wonder wobbler 5 inch in green and yellow. Etc etc’. Thanks for your thoughts and hopefully you’ll get to put them into practice very soon.

cheers

Greg

Hi GregOug

I do normally read a lot of Fishing Magazines and they have taught me a lot about species that are way out of my zone (pelagics, reefies, etc) as well as helped me with my fishing for fish that i do target (jewfish, bream, etc). I watch a lot of online tutorials too 🙂 🙂 

I could not help with those examples at all 😞 but hopefully I will get to put some of those atctics in use/practise very soon 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...