AUS-BNE-FISHO

G'day young Hamish. 

I've read two of your reports and loving them pal. Very well written. 

Also including the gear and bait at the end is top notch. Well done. 

.with the reel you just scored (great catch btw) rip the side plate off and give it a clean and lube. Not a hard task. Youtube has plenty of vids....and spin reels are a piece of cake.

Maybe check the drag washers out as well. 

Good luck and keep writing.

Cheers

Damo. 

Hi Junky

Thanks for that, I love writing them too. 🙂 Yeah, I have taken it apart this afternoon and no rust whatsoever so after drying I put WD-40 and lube on, it seems in very good shape so I reckon whoever dropped it only did a couple days ago, it spins good too. I hope it lands it's first fish soon, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

17 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Junky

Thanks for that, I love writing them too. 🙂 Yeah, I have taken it apart this afternoon and no rust whatsoever so after drying I put WD-40 and lube on, it seems in very good shape so I reckon whoever dropped it only did a couple days ago, it spins good too. I hope it lands it's first fish soon, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Good work mate. 

Just a caution on WD40. 

WD is a repelant and cleaning spray. So use it to clean everything up but do not rely on it to lubricate. It doesn't work as a lubricant. It may seem like it does but in actual fact it doesn't. It also likes to ruin rubber and plastic. 

When it comes to reassembling use an oil based lube. Lanolin or inox or even use a specific reel oil if you want. But lanolin or inbox does the job well. Some people use grease inside on the moving parts. I find this can create a stiffer winding action. Oil keeps everything moving free. 

I service my reels regularly. I do not have a reel younger than 12yrs old. My certate just turned 12 and is as strong as the day I got it. Replaced a few bearings and lost the plastic line retainer that lives on the spool, but the reel itself is rock solid. 

Also a good drag grease is something you should consider. Especially targeting threadies and jew from the shore.   

Yep, I grease carbon drag washers. 

Why? 

Partly to help with friction but to also fight off corrosion. You may lose a little of the maxed out drag on multi washer drag systems bit I have found my TLD'S with one washer get better max drag. Go figure, but it is super smooth at all settings. 

I would use erskines smoothy grease but that is not available anymore so I have found this one to be sufficient. 

Cals universal drag grease.

I have nothing to do with this seller either. I just buy the grease. It works well, and for the cheaper end reels it works wonders on the drag systems. My young blokes cheap end Shakespeare now has a super smooth drag. 

Cheers. 

Damo.

Hi Junky

Yeah, my oldest reel is on it's seventh year, my size 1000 Shimano Sienna. I put a drop of lube where the reel handle is, where the knob connecting the reel handle on the other side is, where the bail arm flicks over and in any other spot which turns, flicks, etc. I only use WD-40 where the spool is so that part doesn't rust. I probably should start using specialized cleaners, thanks for the tip 🙂 Sorry I don't know the name of these parts by the way, I should probably learn that 😉 

I will check the drag washers out too, and give them a nice grease. Thanks for recommending the site too, I'll have a look on it. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Can’t believe I’m the only one that hasn’t caught a rod and reel combo yet mean while Hamish has got a daiwa Shinobi reel that looks brand new basically just needs a minor clean up and a abu Garcia rod 

Hey BWB

You'll get one soon - hopefully the person just happened to drop a brand new reel and you got it immediately after they left so it doesn't rust. 

If I'm honest... My brother stumbled upon a lure and line while swimming, then pulled in the rod. I just took ownership as he doesn't fish 😉 

Cheers Hamish