Sort Of New To Fishing

Brodie_S

Hardbodies vs soft plastics for estuary fishing  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Soft plastic vs hardbodies

• soft plastics for flathead and bream
    • Hardbody lures for flathead and bream

I sort of new to fishing been fishing for 1 year now i have a bit of experience but I want to get better .im been fishing with bread but now im starting to do more lure fishing so im looking for advice on that im mainly looking to target bream and flathead. i have already got a few soft plastics

and hardbodies . I use a fishing diary and I’ve sort of figured out good times to go fishing. Every time i go fishing I always catch atleast 2-3 fish but are usually undersize bream but sometimes i catch good fish around 30cm btw i fish 2-3 hours a week and i know basic things like knots and tide changes and how they effects the fishing . My gear

atomic arrowz bream surface rod 2pc - daiwa Aird LT 2000 with 6lb braid and a fluorocarbon leader  between 4-8lb

daiwa aird x 2-4kg 2pc - shimano sienna FE 2500 with 10lb braid and a fluorocarbon leader between 8-14lb

go to knots

uni knot to connect leader line to hooks and lures

alberto knot to connect braid to leader

oh and btw i did put this in the wrong topic section sorry about that and also spelling mistakes 

Hey again, Breaming with bro

I'm nowhere near a lure expert but I can give you some advice that should send you in the right direction. Here it is, hope it helps 🙂 

For landbased flathead fishing, soft plastics are the way to go. Fish them on any sandflat or around a sandy/muddy bank or drop offs at dusk or dawn. You may be surprised, but the one flatty I've caught on a lure was in the Brisbane River, in about 30cm of water on a mudbank. From what I've read, flathead hate white sand as they can't blend in and target prey without being seen. So that's what you're looking for - darker sand and mud banks.

In terms of fishing for them, the two retrieves with soft plastics are the slow roll or the hop. The slow roll is in the name, bringing the lure slowly back, with no jerking, the tail in the back is doing that. That is what paddle tails are for. The hop is hopping the lure back. I can't make any recommendations but here are some good Team Madmullet Production videos on flathead fishing with plastics. While hardbodies do account for fish, it's mainly being trolled over sand flats on boats.

Bream fishing is a whole different matter. They can be taken on any soft plastic or hardbody, it needs to be fished around structure such as mangroves, pylons or even moored boats. Small diving lures do account for some fish and so do small plastics. The key is too find where they are hanging out and then you will get them consistently. Experiment with different lures in different spots.

I can also recommend you to borrow/buy some fishing magazines from your newsagent/library, these help too.

Hope this helped, 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Thanks hamish yea my local spot is brackish and the bottom of river is dirt mud and rock with lots of drop offs and intertidal zone 

so should be good for flathead . The soft plastics im using a zmen grubs slim swims and minnows and the tackle tatics jigheads to rig them I tried the squidgie soft plastics but wasn’t a fan . I only use zmen soft plastics now . Thanks hamish