Went Fishing This Arvo At The River

Brodie_S

Whats better for flathead  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Whats better for flathead

• S factor scent . This is what I’ve been using
    • Pro cure scent
    • No scent at all

went fishing this arvo first 10 minutes i got a small bream using bread as bait so i switched to a zmen slim swims 2.5 inch in opening night

with a 1/8 jighead as a size 1 hook. First cast soon as the lure hit the water flathead busted me off . So I switched my leader from 4lb to 6lb

a few cast later landed a small flathead basicly 5 metres away from the wharf i was fishing from and 40 minutes go past and I’ve landed plenty of

flathead around the wharf all undersize but was a good session overall caught 1 bream and 4 flathead . Still learning how to fish with lures 

as I’ve only been fishing for a year now and I’ve just using bait for my first year of fishing . Good start with the lures btw the gear is suitable for lures

I use light braid with fluorocarbon leader and a small 2000 daiwa reel with a full graphite 3-8lb rod . So i think im off to a good start. Any advice would be helpful . Btw the jigheads i was using were the tt lures headhunters . The fishing session was 50 minutes long 

Hi Breaming with Bro

Good to see some nice fish coming, I'd be very happy if I scored a bream and 4 flatties on lures in under an hour. Like kmcrosby78 said, flathead do have a very raspy mouth, so if I were you I'd be going with 10lb leader. Maybe up or down it depending on how the area is fishing. You are off to a good start, and fishing in rivers like that you'd probably have the chance of big bream, cod, whiting and if you are super lucky a little jewie (I'm dreaming lol). 😉 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yea i always watch the line when im fishing so the flathead don’t swallow the lure so i can get away with 6lb leader usually 

I also check my leader after catching a fish to make sure the line near the lure is in perfect condition. And i keep the rod tip low to the water to avoid the flathead rubbing against my leader . So i will keep using 6lb for now might go heavier if i was using a bigger lure

Thanks for the advice though i will keep that in mind when chasing flathead in the future