Brisbane River Session #6

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

I know this probably won't be that interesting, but here's Brisbane River Session #6 🙂 

So, I woke up and it was raining. I looked around for my Dad, but he had left to set up the Scout Sausage Sizzle we are having at Bunnings today. I slept back in for about another 20 minutes, then got up. I didn't find a raincoat, so I just went in my normal shirt. There was a bit of heavy rain at the start but after about 45 minutes the sun came out.

While it was raining, in about 10 minutes of arrival, I took my first catfish on a piece of prawn. My second rod went off but I didn't get to it because I was dealing with the first one lol. I rebaited, this time with a shrimp, and in about 20-30 minutes, I was on again. After about ten seconds though, I knew it wasn't another catty. It was taking line, felt very heavy and not coming up. In the fight, about 40 seconds though, he rasped/bit through my 12lb mono leader *anger, disappointment, annoyed*. I felt the line while re-rigging, which is where I found out he rasped through it, which makes me think it was one of these three-

-Threadfin Salmon

-Pike

-Freshwater Eel

Whatever it was, it's got a hook in his mouth so if I re-catch him, I'll know who he is (hopefully it doesn't rust or get spat 😉) For the rest of the day, I had one more run, but didn't connect. It didn't feel big anyways. I did notice some interesting things though. Normally when I'm fishing for sharks (which was the primary target species) I've been fishing the run out. This time, it was rising all morning and one of the highest tides I've ever seen. While I was watching the lines, I did see a big jump/bust up on the other side of the river, it was silver, so either a shark, salmon or big catty. While I had my line in the channel made in between the jetty and bank as well, I saw a catfish do a big boof on the mangrove too, it gave me a fright but at least I knew they were there. After that, I fished for about another half hour, but I left when my Dad came down and when it started to heat up.

Here are the statistics too:

Statistics of Trip

Fish caught: Catfish x 1, big bust off

Baits used: Prawns, Shrimp, Mullet

Tide: Rising, .1 low, 4:00AM, 2.6m high, 10:40AM

Moon Phase: Over 50% but not quite full

Tackle: 14lb braid mainline, 12lb mono leader, 20lb fluorocarbon leader, 30lb braid mainline, 80lb mono leader, 80lb Halco wire trace 40-50cm

Weather: 26c, 83% humidity, rain, cloudy

Bait Caught: - 

Overall Success: Target species were not caught, but it was still nice to get out for a fish 🙂 

I hope you enjoyed the report, sorry there are no photos but I caught nothing worthy 😉 

Cheers Hamish