New Reel To Replace My Sienna

Brodie_S

i got a cazna after my dud sienna crapped it self . Note im glad i kept the handle from the sienna fe as it fits perfectly into the cazna

i actually perfer the sienna handle over the cazna handle so i will keep the handle that came with the cazna as a spare. Sorry for bad photo. Edit I actually don’t mind the handle knob on the cazna so i will probably use both handles equally depends on what i feel like i the day. Honestly thought I’d hate the handle knob on the cazna but its not half bad so will use both sienna and cazna handles on the cazna. Yea i really love the feel of the cazna . I honestly prefer this over the sienna fe . But i still wish my sienna wasn’t a dud though as i both love them. Another edit i pretty happy today as everyone in my year including me got a day off school today still don’t know why in year 8 btw. Sorry for the bad spelling will fix later

image.jpg

Hi Breaming with Bro

I don't know too many reels (that I have experience with) that are small. But i can give you a couple good ones. The Shimano Nasci works really well and if spooled with good, thin braid it will cast excellent. It can fight good fish, I have mine on an 8ft Ugly Stik rod and it goes great for whiting, bream, flathead and all bread and butter species. I would suggest it if you want another Shimano reel.

On the other hand, the Diawa Shinobi works very well. It can pull up fish, mine is paired with a graphite rod. It casts far with light (or heavy) weights. I have been using it with bait but I would like to get out for a flick with some plastics. I'd suggest this for a Diawa Reel.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

9 hours ago, Junky said:

Good stuff.

I noticed in the post about your sienna misfortune that you threw it in the bin. 

If for some reason in the future you decide to chuck a reel out....let us know. May even give you some coin for it. 

Cheers. 

Yeah, I agree with that. You might've gotten a refund from a member 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

21 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

The new alvey spin reel reviews are reading well plus you are supporting local Brisbane company

Wow, I also didn't know Alvey was making spin reels - might have to look into getting one.

Cheers Hamish

Yea ok will keep in mind for future . I kept the spool as i will probably buy another sienna in the future maybe in a few years also the fact that i put some braid on it i got for Christmas. Yea if i have a dud reel which i hope I don’t get . I will give it to a junky for i got enough reels for now . I think 2 is enough reels for estuary and river fishing 

Yea i know i have a long sad story about how I actually started using braid . Yea i was also pretty unlucky about the dud reel. Ok ready for the long story . I first started fishing when i was 9/10 with a cheap kmart rod i was also fishing with cheap nasty k mart lures to

i could never know why i wasn’t catching anything 9/10 times i wouldn’t  catch anything . Anyway fast forward till im 12 i get a cheap shimano combo slightly better then the kmart gear . Shimano fx 1000 reel spooled with 4lb mono and a telescopic rod I started to fish with bread unweighted and I finally started to catch fish mainly small bream and sometimes a above legal bream and the odd mullet 

anyway I learned that to fish with lures you need a graphite rod a decent reel and braided fishing line . So I’ve been using braid for 6 months now and I’ve also got a some better gear including 2 graphite rods 1 daiwa reel and a shimano cazna . And its been great finally be able to catch fish . So really this is why I’ve said I’ve only been fishing for 1 year now since i got the cheap shimano combo

because thats when i first actually started to learn how to fish probably. Yea  now I’ve started to use lures again and it seems to be successful . Bread and zman soft plastics  are now my go to choices. I also fish with 4-6lb fluorocarbon leaders i find the lighter you can go the better . Im turning 14 this year so by the end of year i will have 2 years of experience . Oh my lines i use 

Go to braidline - daiwa j braid x8

go to leaderline Sunline fc rock

Hey Breaming with Bro

That's a nice way to get into fishing, I was introduced to it by skull dragging in catfish on prawns on handlines 😉 I got a setup (telescopic shimano) that lasted for a good couple of years, then for Christmas I got a Shimano Sienna which was also used to skull drag up catfish, as well as bream, crabs, cod, flathead and river perch (the odd vermin too LOL).  I eventually learnt the correct way (pump/lift then wind going down). How did everyone else start fishing?

I use J-braid for my mainline to, or Platypus braid (my preferred brands). My leaders are Black Magic, Pryml and some more Platypus stuff. I've caught bream on bread to, my most memorable one was when I took my telescopic (only a couple years ago) in my backpack, on the ferry and to the botanic gardens. I caught it on my last piece too 🙂 A general rule is the lighter you can go the better, but some fish do require heavier leader, like flathead or cod. Thanks for sharing the story, 🙂 

Cheers Hamish