Trolling Rod For Moreton Bay

GregOug

Hi all,

Looking to buy a rod for trolling lures around 8-10 knots in Moreton Bay. I want something that is suitable for trolling for mackerel, tuna, wahoo etc. Any thoughts on strength of rod, line class, roller versus normal runners etc. And what size reel, and what line strength would you spool the reel with? Any favourite trolling lures as well. I like the rapala style in red and white myself.

cheers

Greg

A 6 to 10 kilo 7' rod, a 4/5000 size reel, 30lb braid and leader. My preference is runners not rollers.

As for brands -

Rod - what feels good in your hand. Have a chat to the seller about its characteristics and if suitable for purpose.

Reel - I'd stick with either a Daiwa or Shimano spinning reel and after you've had a look at them read up on reviews online, then make a choice from there.

Lures - Good luck on that one. There are just too many around these days to catch the average fisherman. Having said that, Rapalas are tried and tested and would be a good choice, but the colour is another thing. Everyone should have the white with red though.

Hi GregOug

I probably won't be much help but I'd go with a spin reel, and maybe one overhead. It depends on your preference, I'd say.

I would have (most likely a Shimano) spooled with thirty-fifty pound braid, and you could either run a light strand of wire (mackerel, wahoo, etc) or some mono/fluorocarbon for tuna. In terms of reel sizes, a 5000 to 6000 would be my preference. I think any diving hardbodies/spoons would work, imitating the colour of bait around. 

I'm not sure if you've already read this site, but it is very informative and helpful:  http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2018/02/02/school-mackerel-on-spoons/

Hope this helped 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

M10 rod.

Garry Howard has a nice 10-15kg offshore. I have two. 15yrs old and still tough as nails. Replaced tips due to "I'm a rough punt". 

I have a TLD30 on one and a torium 30 on the other. TLD is a winch. I dont stuff around with little line. 80lb braid 500m wound on top of 50lb mono approx 150m.

Built like a brick outhouse. Great trolling stick. Nice forgiving tip so it doesnt bounce your lures out of the water and its a great bottom slogger. Standard drag system is tough as nails. I've abused mine with who's and Spanish, big reefies, no dram's. Loves it. It's that tough that when I get a snag bottom bashing, I can wind the earth around under me. 

Service regularly and lube the drag with good grease it will last you forever. 

Torium is okay but star drag went out in the 1900's. I wouldn't buy another star drag with all the new levers available. I only got it for the 6.2:1 ratio. Nice and quick back up to the surface if the pickers are hassling you. You could use it for jigging to but thats to much hard work imo. 

Trolling is okay but setting strike drag on star drag reels sucks. Cause you have to tighten while winding etc and you just can't get the pressure out of star drags like you do with levers. The lever is just soooo much easier all round. 

You can get good lever drag overheads from shimano and diawa. Don't touch anything else unless it's boutique like Avet or something. 

All those cheap shyte "Big store" overhead reels are terrible. Stay away from them. You will mash the guts of it on any decent size fish.

4 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

That’s funny because I just bought 600m of Stren 10kg mono to put on my TLD10! Lol. 

1 hour ago, Junky said:

M10 rod.

Garry Howard has a nice 10-15kg offshore. I have two. 15yrs old and still tough as nails. Replaced tips due to "I'm a rough punt". 

I have a TLD30 on one and a torium 30 on the other. TLD is a winch. I dont stuff around with little line. 80lb braid 500m wound on top of 50lb mono approx 150m.

Built like a brick outhouse. Great trolling stick. Nice forgiving tip so it doesnt bounce your lures out of the water and its a great bottom slogger. Standard drag system is tough as nails. I've abused mine with who's and Spanish, big reefies, no dram's. Loves it. It's that tough that when I get a snag bottom bashing, I can wind the earth around under me. 

Service regularly and lube the drag with good grease it will last you forever. 

Torium is okay but star drag went out in the 1900's. I wouldn't buy another star drag with all the new levers available. I only got it for the 6.2:1 ratio. Nice and quick back up to the surface if the pickers are hassling you. You could use it for jigging to but thats to much hard work imo. 

Trolling is okay but setting strike drag on star drag reels sucks. Cause you have to tighten while winding etc and you just can't get the pressure out of star drags like you do with levers. The lever is just soooo much easier all round. 

You can get good lever drag overheads from shimano and diawa. Don't touch anything else unless it's boutique like Avet or something. 

All those cheap shyte "Big store" overhead reels are terrible. Stay away from them. You will mash the guts of it on any decent size fish.

Thanks Junky.Some good info there. I already have some lever drag overheads in my kit bag. And I’m totally with you on jigging being too much like hard bloody work! I actually just bought a trolling board after reading an article Hamish mentioned so got to figure that out now. Lol

Good question Hamish. I prefer trolling with mono as it has a bit of stretch in it which seems to be more forgiving on larger fish and result in more fish in the boat. You can use braid which cuts thru the water better but you need to use 10m+ leader to take a bit of the shock out when the fish hits, runs and shakes its head. I have lost big fish using braid with 15m mono leader so am totally biased against trolling with braid!