Dinodadog

queensland Hi Ho Silver And Away.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By christophagus
      I was part of a Facebook run kayak comp over the weekend. The target species was Mangrove jack (which no one managed to land)
      We launched at about 6:30am from Banksia beach, and myself with a fair few other competitors headed straight up the canals.
      I was hit by what I can assume was a jack very early in the day, it hit like a train at full speed and I never had a chance to get him out. He dusted me up in about 10 seconds…straight through 40lb leader! 
      From there on it was a quiet day, I managed a small cod and a big eye trevally. Both caught on Zman Swimmerz in motor oil. There plenty of schools of trevally around, but they were hard catch, they weren’t taking much. I sounded out a lot of bait school with fishing surrounding the bait…my guess was more trevally. I trolled through them, threw paddle tails, jigged prawn lures….but could never get a touch.
      Finished up around 12:30 when I was knackered from the belting heat.
      Also ran into the nessy of the passage on the way home….he/she created a massive wave when it scurried away as I got closer. Vid below too
      All in all it was a tough day fishing, 7 hours on the water for 2 fish but I must say, it was great fun to fish in a comp again…maybe the Moreton Bay or Bris River classic might make a come back on day…here’s hoping.

Please login or register to view this video
      Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By rayke1938
      Had to work hard to get some fish at NPD ending up with one yella and 32 bass ,6 forkies, and a feed of redclaw. Heaps of small redclaw showing up in the shrimp traps so future redclawing looking great as dam is now at over 66%. Did not take long for the word that Kurwongbah is spilling to get out. Saw about 15 cars parked in Beeville road on the way home so gave the hotline a ring and actually got a ranger who said that they were aware of it. Cheers Ray

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By AUS-BNE-FISHO
      Hi all
      Here is Brisbane River Session #7, while I did donut, and it wasn't a very successful fishing trip, I will give the statistics for anyone else's reference  
      So, after some help around the house, tennis practise this morning, table tennis, mowing the lawn and rigging some rods I convinced my Dad to take my sister, our dog and I to Captain Burke Park, under the story bridge. We got there and saw two kids fishing, maybe about 12 or 13. I was mainly trying to catch livies for the duration they were fishing, but after nothing in about 15-25 throws I went up, and chucked out some dead herring (caught at Colmslie cast netting a while back) and waited. I was fishing off the side of the jetty, the tide was running out so it was quite shallow. They left in about 30 minutes, but they'd left their bait, fish blood and organs and a little bit of tackle on the jetty. There mum/brother was watching them, and it is a bit disappointing to see they weren't checking that it was clean. To be fair, she/he probably didn't have a clue. I couldn't tell them to pick it up either, by the time I realized they'd left. Other than that, I was having a pretty good chat, they said they'd caught a couple of 'baitfish', glassies I assume, and they were just getting pickered. 
      I was there from about 4:00PM-6:15PM, we had to get back home to cook dinner. My dad was making a huge effort to get some livies too, throwing the net for the whole time (as well as helping my sister calm the dog after she barked for about 2-5 minutes for each dog she saw ), unfortunately only managing some toadfish, undersize yellowfin bream, small glassies and a small bony bream (all released to be eaten by a salmon). Here are the statistics of the trip, I think the next time I go back there it will be in the morning and on the rising tide. Also, I have a hike on for scouts tomorrow so that's another reason why I had to leave earlier than usual. 
      Statistics of Trip
      Tide: 2:20PM high, 8:55PM low, so was fishing the run out.
      Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous Phase, so getting smaller and smaller - lasts for a week after full moon
      Weather: 30c, 86% humidity and the wind was up, probably blowing about 15Km/h, probably from that storm (ex-tropical cyclone) that is causing the big swell
      Bait Used: Herring, Bony Bream, Mullet, Frog-Mouth Pilchard, all dead
      Bait caught: Glassy x 4, Bony Bream x 1, Toadfish x 2, baby flathead x 1 - all was released
      Tackle Used: 30lb braid mainlines, 80lb mono leader, 100lb mono leader, 80lb mono traces, barrel swivel, size 6 ball sinker, size 1 star sinker, 20lb fluorocarbon leader, size 3 ball sinker, 4/o circle hook, 6/o circle hooks.
      Fish Caught: *embarrassed*
      Overall Success: 20%
      Hope you enjoyed Please login or register to view this image 
      Cheers Hamish 

• By ellicat
      Found this article of interest -

Bass recaptured after 26 years!
      12 February 2020   The bass was recaptured at Tingalpa Creek. Image: Roy Graham  ACCORDING to the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC) the Suntag fish tagging program has achieved a world record for the longest time spent at liberty for a tagged freshwater fish – 9,507 days.
      The Australian bass was tagged 20 January 1994 in Reynolds Creek at a length of 26.5cm and was released for future recapture and monitoring. Last Sunday, the bass was recaptured in a castnet in Tingalpa Creek at 39cm, over 26 years later and some 190km from where it was tagged.
      Roy Graham, the fisho who caught the world record breaking fish said “It wasn’t much of a haul - it was a surprising catch,”
      “We were trying to get prawns so I got the fish in a castnet.”
      The 190km journey saw the bass travel down Reynolds Creek to the Bremer River, where it made its way across the Brisbane River and eventually travelled south in Moreton Bay to Tingalpa Creek where it was recaptured.
      “The fish was at the very top of Tingalpa Creek,” Graham said.
      Remarkably, the fish escaped capture for 26 years in some of the most heavily fished waters in Queensland.
      Having grown 13cm in 26 years, it is estimated that the bass grew half a centimetre each year.
      The recapture breaks the previous record of just over 25 years held by a southern bluefin tuna and, though records of these types are difficult to ascertain, it is likely to be the longest time out for a tagged fish in the world.
      Please login or register to view this image The bass was recaptured 190km away from its initial release location. Image: Suntag Australia “We’ve had six or seven fish recaptured 20 years after they’ve been tagged and this one is the longest,” Suntag Australia Manager Bill Sawynok said.
      With over 30 years collecting fish data, the Suntag program has helped improve the knowledge and handling of many Australian fish species and has helped mitigate and monitor the potential threats fish face caused by environment change, development or harvesting practices.
      Via 
      Please login or register to view this content
    • By GregOug
      Another link. This time about prawning.

Please login or register to view this content
  • Latest Topics

• Donate

Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

Thanks
  • Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links