Saturday @ Shultz

Cowfish13

We had a few spare hours yesterday and because of the wind, we decided to go to Shultz for the arvo. We were greeted by a rapidly dropping tide and in our ecperiences, this isn't that great.

On my 5th cast, I managed to catch a 29cm Bream on one of my new SX40's (colour 344). He put up a great fight and he was a pretty heavy fish. He also seemed to be a bit wider than the fish that we usually catch:dry:. After a photo, he was sent on his way.

Nothing for a very long time (unless you count a Toadie by Jack:lol:) but then we found a creek that stayed at a good depth at low tide and after a few casts, Jack caught a 36cm Estaury Cod. After a pics he was also sent on his way. Very next cast at the same snag, he caught a 18-20cm Bream:blink:. This was released and then the very next cast at the same snag, he caught another Bream at around 23cm:blink: :blink:. I had to have a go at this so I couldn't be bothered taking the photo of it, so he took it himself. I had a fluro coloured Camion on my line so I changed it to a similarly coloured SX40 to the one he was using.

After a few more casts, Jack caught a 24cm Bream and as he was taking the phone/camera out, it fell down and got covered in mud:S :( . So the pic I took of his fish is a bit crooked because I didn't want to spread the mud all around.

Nothing for the rest of the day, but it was a pretty good day for us and we discovered a new spot to go to when the tide is low.

Thanks for reading

PS: I would have put the report up yesterday, but Jack had to clean his phone out and his USB port was clogged with mud. But it still works so we could get the pictures off it.

Pics to follow

Also, All fish were released as usual

Jack dropped quite a few small Bream in that spot. They were really aggressive in there. But they only liked his lure colour (his was 338, mine was 344; pretty similar, but not close enough:P). I was doing the same retreive in the same spots, but they wouldn't go for my lure:blink:. Except for one fish which managed to snag me on a Crab pot and then got off:( So I had to walk out:angry:. Luckily it was only 2 feet deep where it did it.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Jack's Cod. A Black-spot one this time. There is a mixed variety of Gold and Black spots at Shultz:dry:. [img size=374]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/24_11_07_1514_AFO.jpg

sorry about my nonexistant smiles in these pics:laugh:

the reason for this one is that i just remembered that cod have very sharp teethand the next unhappy face was after dropping my phone for that little bream

i think i ended up with 4 fish from about 5 casts which is easily a record for me.

i was using 6lb fireline crystal with a metre of 8lb flurocarbon leader while using an sx40 colour 338

and will was using a the same mainline with a 6lb leader(probably the reason he got the bigger bream) and an sx40 colour 344.

if any one is trying shultz for the first time look for the deepest water you can find when the tide is low, fish near the snags and bring insect repellent!!

i would also reccomend buying the best lures you can afford aswell.

Pinkey: the cod was unlucky to be landed as i hooked it about 3 metres away from the sang. it hit like a truck and screamed the line back to the snag. i had tightened the drag far tighter than i usually fish and i think this was what saved my lure. after realising that it couldn't reach that particular log it headed off towards another set of snags but it was unsuccessful and eventually it was landed. with the speed it had on its first run i was hoping it was a jack but no luck. the lure was almost swallowed aswell with a few teeth touching the line so again this was one unlucky cod.

Flathead: sounds good should be on your way to getting some then. and with the 8lb you'll have a better chance of landing the occasional cod and big flattie that you encounter at shultz than the 6lb we use

Have you guys tried poppers at Schultz? I reckon early morning and you could get a jack on a popper. Also because they have to come out of the snag to get it you'd have a better chance of landing it. Seriously though, if you want a jack you'll need 12lb braid or up. I've got em on 8lb and 4lb but only cause I was lucky enough to get them to swim away from structure. I reckon a schultz you'd struggle to get on on 8lb. There's just too much structure. It could be done but you'd increase your chances if you could lock the drag up. I reckon troy's advice on using a bait caster with heavy line and a locked drag would be the go because when jack hit they can easily take 10m of line on 8lb. And they can do that 10-15 times before they get tired.

for bream use lots and lots of pauses. Don't have to bloop it as much as you would for more aggressive fish.

I'm no expert just that's what I've noticed in my limited popper experiences.

BTW did I tell you guys my Dad got a flattie on a popper on Friday? Sweet huh?

Archived