All The Gear, No Idea....

HGR

Hi all. First post after doing quite a bit of reading. My family and I are moving from NZ to Sunshine Coast in about a years time and working through that process of what to take and what to sell. Originally from the US so have done a fair bit of freshwater fishing there and a lot of saltwater fishing in NZ. We've decided we'll sell our boat as it's too dear to import but planning on bringing our gear.

As far as saltwater gear goes, we're set up with 5x 50W Tiagra sets, some Talica 16's and then 6500 series spinning gear. Looking through the forum this is looking like it may be overkill for a lot of the inshore species. Here we fish up to 25 miles out and try to target tuna and marlin in the summer and king fish and snapper throughout the year. 

Would this be a worthwhile batch of gear to bring along? Anyone want to start up a chat about appropriate size gear, not so much brand, that would be suitable to different fishing styles? Trying to digest everything on the forum but not living there some is a bit hard to imagine. 

Where a few setups i think that would be good

light setup 1000-2000 size reel 6lb braid 3-8lb rod

medium setup 2000-2500 size reel 8-10lb braid 2-4kg rod

medium heavy setup 3000 size reel 15lb braid 3-7kg rod

if you want know more detailed setups and brands just ask any time also most of the fish here in Australia have sharp teeth

so do your research on what leader is appropriate for the fish your targeting. One of favourite fish to target is bream the light setup i listed is what i use for bream I usually use a 4-6lb leader when targeting bream as they don’t have sharp teeth and are leader shy. Feel free to ask any questions .edit also yea tuna snapper and king fish fishing is fairly popular in Australia so the gear you have now you can use.edit again I’ll list some species you might want to try to target on the sunshine coast or most places on the east coast of Australia I’ll list some fish that are easy to learn how to catch . 1 bream 2 dusky flathead 3 whiting 4 tailor 5 trevally 6 eels . Hope that helps

Hi HGR

Welcome to the forum, I may not be the most help but I'll try. 

If you plan on getting another boat, I'd recommend keeping your current setups. These will work for species like threadfin salmon, mulloway, big cod, snapper, kingfish, tuna, mackerel, etc. What I'm saying is that if you are planning on getting a boat here they will be efficient, otherwise I'd recommend maybe only keep the 6500 and 1 Tiagra. Depending on what type of fishing if you're fishing landbased, they will come in handy. For example, mulloway and threadfin salmon would go for that but you would not get whiting on such heavy setups. It's really about your leader size used though. Also, if you aren't familiar with them, maybe read up on these species because they are common around the Sunshine Coast.

If you are planning on bread and butter/smaller species such as flathead, whiting, bream, smaller cod, school jewish, trevally, bass, yellowbelly, tailor and even squire, these are the setups I'd recommend - 

-1000 Shimano Sienna with an Ugly Stik rod of your choice, I have mine on a 6'6"

-2500 Shimano Nasci/Daiwa Shinobi on a longer rod, maybe 8ft for surf

-650-800 size Penn reel, spooled with heavier line for larger species (i.e. mulloway)

I think three sould get you started off as well, you can expand on what you like/don't like using. Once again, it all comes down to the species you're targeting. If you use 6lb mainline and leader, whiting, bream bass and yellowbelly would be ideal whereas if fishing for flathead, you might use 20lb fluorocarbon leader.

Hope this helped,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Cheers guys. Maybe I should have redirected my comments and looked at the primary species available off the sunny coast from boat. I'm pretty addicted to fishing but Aus is pretty new to me. Love the variety that I'm seeing online, just everything from freshwater bass to crabs and shrimp, on to marlin and wahoo. Looks to be a fishing paradise. Looks like you guys are going lighter on the gear than the kiwis. Seems like here it's a 6500 min unless softbaiting.