Lure Colours

Ducks Nuts

37 minutes ago, Junky said:

Try and find what baitfish are in the same waterway. 

Hi Junky

Yes, the 'match the hatch' technique would probably be a bit better than my advice 😉 

23 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Go a dark purple or black when the water isn't clear.

Hi ellicat

Just out of interest, have you, or anyone else (other than Ducks Nuts) ever caught redfin? Thanks for the tip, too 🙂 

26 minutes ago, Ducks nuts said:

Yeah I use worms and grasshoppers or what ever is about at the time just like catching them with plastics hardbodies and spinners. It’s more fun. 

Hey Ducks Nuts

Yeah, I s'pose it would be, you feel the strike then. Redfin are pretty aggressive aren't they?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

P.S. Does anyone else think I'm mooching off the advice given for other people...

10 hours ago, Ducks nuts said:

Yeah I use worms and grasshoppers or what ever is about at the time just like catching them with plastics hardbodies and spinners. It’s more fun. 

You could match worms and grasshoppers with plastics. Also frogs and cicadas. 

There would be some sort of bait fish in there. Maybe smaller redfin, freshwater gar, prawns, shrimp. 

I've never fished for them but I imagine they'd be similar to bass. 

Are they considered a noxious pest? 

I can't find anything that says they have to be destroyed. Can see they are classed as an introduced pest but that is all. 

Never caught a redfin before as they don't swim up this way, but I do fish in some pretty dirty water the colour of milky tea. I'd be tempted to use something like a black curly tail grub on a jig spinner. Black to make a strong silhouette in the dirty water and the jig spinner to create strong vibrations and flash from the metal blade. 

If I was wanting to use a hard bodied lure I'd also go for black.

Redfin are very cannibalistic and we use to touch small Rapala's with red nail polish for the fins. 

Black & Gold is a good combination in dirty water for the silhouette, gold sparkle seems to work better than silver in dirty water. Looking at most spinner baits for cod they are gold because of this exact reason.

They are very aggressive feeders and nail just about anything.