Bamo

Hi,

I have been trying to find a good stickibaiting rod for kingfish, Australian salmon and other similar species in WA that is about 8ft so I can clear the big surf here. I have had a bit of a look at the shimano grappler rod series, mainly the Pe4 and Pe5 models. What rating do you guys think wold be best for what I am trying to catch?

thanks in advance,

Bamo

G'day Bamo

For your target species, I would assume the best rating would be line that is tightly woven with a PE rating of 5. Providing you use a leader to suit the fishing, it won't matter going heavier. This will also benefit you if you hook up to a larger model, it will enable you to land it quicker and make sure you do land it.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

you will have to get 2 rods as 8ft rod useless in the surf

This was my favorite heavy rod landed 8ft shark and 50 lb jewies in the surf

https://www.outbackadventures.net.au/product/gary-howard-surf-classic-low-mount-2-piece-heavy-fishing-rod/

this is the one more suitable for walking the beach as it is a bit lighter. 

https://www.outbackadventures.net.au/product/gary-howard-chopper-special-12ft-low-mount-1-piece-spinning-fishing-rod/

both of these rods are specifically designed for alveys for eggbeaters and bait casters you will need a mid mount that are avail. Gary Howard rods are Australian designed by experienced aussie fishamen.  I highly recommend alvey reels ( Also Australian designed and made in Brisbane)they are durable,low maintenance and are the only reel that if you drop it in the sand you can just dip it in the water and wash out. Try that with your daiwa or shimano reels.

cheers ray

Edited by rayke1938

42 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

you will have to get 2 rods as 8ft rod useless in the surf

This was my favorite heavy rod landed 8ft shark and 50 lb jewies in the surf

https://www.outbackadventures.net.au/product/gary-howard-surf-classic-low-mount-2-piece-heavy-fishing-rod/

this is the one more suitable for walking the beach as it is a bit lighter. 

https://www.outbackadventures.net.au/product/gary-howard-chopper-special-12ft-low-mount-1-piece-spinning-fishing-rod/

both of these rods are specifically designed for alveys for eggbeaters and bait casters you will need a mid mount that are avail. Gary Howard rods are Australian designed by experienced aussie fishamen.  I highly recommend alvey reels ( Also Australian designed and made in Brisbane)they are durable,low maintenance and are the only reel that if you drop it in the sand you can just dip it in the water and wash out. Try that with your daiwa or shimano reels.

cheers ray

Hi rayke1938

That is awesome! A 50lb jew and 8ft shark 🙂 Did the jewie become dinner?

Those rods look very nice also, while I have not done much surf fishing I've still done ok with light spin rods in the gutter but if I ever get right into it I will have to invest in one of those.

33 minutes ago, GregOug said:

I agree totally with rayke. 8 foot for the surf is a waste of time.

Hi GregOug

I assume you've had experience in the surf, care to share some stories?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hi Hamish,

My main experience with surf fishing is fishing for tailor at Fraser, although I’ve also suffered through surf fishing at a few other locations as well. Casting out into the darkness, getting soaked by waves you can’t even see and then having your bait washed ashore almost immediately by the massive onshore rip running is not my preferred method of relaxation.  Having said that,  occasionally getting nearly pulled off your feet when a huge greenback hits your pillie, and then actually getting it ashore, almost makes it all worthwhile!

cheers

Greg