Just Moved From Hobart To Brisbane...

Fishyreb

...and things are a bit different up here!  I've been fishing since before I can remember and in tassie I know what to do, where to go ect.  But up here I'm struggling a little. First of all I don't know anyone up here who fishes so I'm stuck land based til I make friends with someone who is kind enough to take me out on the water (or til my living situation is stable enough to get a craft of my own)  secondly, learning the best way to target new species, though it's very interesting and exciting can be very frustrating with little to no experience or know-how apart from what little useful information I can find by googling. 

Had a few days up at bundaberg and fished around Burnett and Elliot heads but I've mostly been going land based all around redcliffe. Got smoked by something huge I sight casted at the entrance to the Scarborough marina. Won't get over that one for a while.  Got a few grassy sweetlip and a few decent sized bream and a small snapper off queens beach. Few shovel noses and stingrays. Some weird little aquarium looking fish from under woody point jetty. Up at bundaberg did some surf fishing got some swallowtail dart and a little GT and a big slatey bream.  

I plan to do a lot more fishing on Morton bay in the next couple years so I'd love to meet some people who could share some wisdom with me or even take me for a fish sometime.  If any of you find a reason to go to Tasmania hit me up and I'll direct you to some wild brown trout!  

Cheers take it easy 

Hi Fishyreb

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Brisbane. Are you liking it up here?

I have no expertise on fishing the bay like some other members on here, but from what I see your off to a good start. I know you can get worms around the Redcliffe Peninsula, I have seen someone doing it and luckily someone made a good tutorial on youtube - 

This will get you started on worms, and they make a great bait for whiting, bream and putting big bunches on may score you a jewie surf fishing.

I have had experience fishing around the woody point jetty but it was not for long, another question i have is can you throw a cast net? This will help gathering live baits (the best baits for most coastal species around here and that may include mullet, herring, frogmouth pilchards, prawns, winter whiting and garfish) and it will see you with a better chance for some stonka bream, flathead, mulloway, threadfin salmon, cod and even GT's. 

My normal haunt is the Brisbane River though, live baiting is key there. If you are to fish that I can direct you to a few spots, but otherwise if you just go there you'll probably get catfish, bream, cod, flathead, threadfin salmon and if you're very lucky a mulloway (they require a lot of effort, I'm yet to catch a brisbane River mulloway too).

Hope this helped,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Thanks a bunch! Yeah loving it so far thanks. I met a guy digging worms at Scarborough on low tide he was doing alright so I have some idea where to find some.  Cast net- no I've never tried but from what I've read it seems almost necessary up here so I plan to learn.

I've just moved to Petrie so I think I'm going to hit up the north pine for the next couple months try to get a feel for it. I'm right by Sweeney reserve so I dropped a line there and got a couple undersized bream. I've read that some bass are caught in the upper reaches. I got my first bass the other day from kurwongbah which I was pretty stoked on. But yeah I'm thinking I'll try closer to the river mouth for a while lay out some livies and some worms cast a few flickbaits see if I can find a spot I like. Failing that I'll probably continue to target bream and snapper at redcliffe on low tide.  

Ideally I'd love to catch a mulloway, jack,  threadfin, any kind of Trevally, any kind of shark(but not rays lol)  snapper,  mackerel and basically anything we don't have further south.  

Thanks for the advice I'll make a post if I get anything worth sharing 

Hey Fishyreb

Yep, I've read some old reports of the North Pine producing bass. Read some reports titled NPD and that will get you started (written by some very experienced bass fishos). Try learning with a smaller net before you start of with a bigger one, it also makes it easier.

Will look forward to seeing some of your captures,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

18 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

if you get yourself a cheap yak there is excellent fishing in kurwongbah and north pine dams. bank fishing particularly t dawn and dusk near the rangers hut at npd can be productive at times. be aware that you need a sip permit to fish these locations.

Hi rayke1938

With fishing in Lake Kurwongbah I read in an old post that there was some weed that was very bad/you must wash all your gear after fishing there.

Do you know if this is still there?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

6 hours ago, fishingnut said:

Interesting ! My brother is moving to Longford next week so I have been doing plenty of research on trout and redfin, I will apologise in advance as our break up here are nothing compared to the horses you guys get down there.

Trout are plentiful all around tas but they can be tricky. Like any kind of fishing it's mostly sticking to fundamentals and putting in your hours. Im no trout master but I've spent enough time chasing them to know a thing or two. And I have my own personal preferences and opinions. If you've done some research I'm sure you know all this but anyway,  6' light -med light spin rod 4 to 6 lb braid with 6 to 8lb leader. I was always told trout are very sensitive and will spit it out if they can feel the line so lighter is better and no sinker unless absolutely necessary. Even then it must be a free running sinker. If bait fishing leave the bail arm open or have the drag loose as possible. It was always my understanding a trout will pick up a bait and run with it for a bit before he actually eats it so let the line run free for a bit when you get a take.  Usually just til it stops again then get ready to load up.  Baits would be worms, hoppers,  crickets,  mudeyes, grubs. Depending on the location. Ummmm lures I like squidgies flickbaits or t tails depending on the location. 8th or 6th oz jighead.  Hard bodies just classic rapalas or anything similar. Hope that helps!  

Oh and redfin are mostly considered trash in tas not many people target them. They are pretty but they're not very sporting. Where they exist they are usually in great numbers. Mostly small aggressive feeders that ironically don't fight much when hooked in my experience 

Break you mean bream?  Yeah I was living in Hobart bream in the Derwent average around 38cm in my experience anything less than 40 we called small.  I've caught a couple up here recently though including one tonight that weren't far off the mark 

Hey Fishyreb

You must be pretty experienced with all that knowledge on trout (expert), but up here a bream over 40cm is a whopper!

7 hours ago, Fishyreb said:

Yeah the weed at kurwongbah was terrible I couldn't even pull a lure through it had to give up spinning and set rods with a live shrimp under a float. Did the trick though. But those weeds are absolutely full of fish food. Big's and shrimps (and baby tilapia) galore 

Thanks for the advice too, if I ever go I'll make sure to accommodate for that.

Cheers Hamish 🙂