Time well spent. Shame about the bogans on your first trip, but you can only control what's in your control.

Some of your setups seem a bit on the heavy side to me. Have you considered going lighter ? When fishing the river I generally use 15lb braid with a 20 or 30lb leader. I'm not fishing particularly rocky areas though.

Hi ellicat

Yes, you're right. I do go a bit heavy but that is simply so I can still land sharks. I suppose if my circle hooks do their job though, going lighter wouldn't be a problem. I might start using 30 pound leader again, or even go down to 20lb if the bite is slow. 🙂 Thanks for the pointer. This area isn't very snaggy, with only one snag and then some bridge/jetty pylons.  

Cheers Hamish

That rocky area near the bridge has some good places to fish from. I used to take my boys there when they were young and we usually caught bream and COD, with odd flathead thrown in. A few good eddies around the rocks to aim at. Not sure how clear the path is and I have seen the odd snake there so be careful climbing down.

when you buy the supermarket prawns, make sure you only buy Australian green prawns to make sure there is no disease transfer. If you are travelling anywhere near Lytton, drop in to Mr Bait and pick up a few packs of frozen local prawns. They will be cheaper and you know there is no chance of white spot. 

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Old Scaley

Good to know there are fish there, my dad did say the path was pretty wild and grassy. I made sure to buy supermarket Australian green prawns too, thanks for the recommendation on the tackle shop too. I will go there if I ever fish around Lytton. Could you cast net from those rocks?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I wouldn’t recommend cast netting because of the rocks and other snags. Maybe throw your net around the fishing platform before you go to the rocks? BTW, I hope your addiction to AFO is not interfering with your classroom work?