How To Improve Hook Ups

ggg

Hi all,

I fish landbased off the piers in FNQ and constantly find I get baited without a hookup. I use 4/0 Eagle Claw Widegapes. I fish mostly with livebait or frozen prawns and squid. I am always getting bites on the frozen baits. They are reasonable and I have hooked fish like this in the past (but not much bigger than 40cm or smaller than 15cm). Should I fish like the snapper fishos in NZ fish by opening the bail arm and see if the fish runs with the bait? Thanks

Hi Jaz44

A few things that I have experimented with may help you out, here they are - 

Letting the fish run - I do this a lot, I find it normally works but the key is to know when to strike. Tighten the drag but make sure you do not give it a hard yank. Once you have tightened the drag, then proceed to strike. 

Maybe resize your hooks to a smaller size, i.e. a 2/o or a 1/o.  This may sound silly but small hooks will catch everything, it is normally just about the size of your bait.

Also, are you holding your rod(s)? If not, maybe start holding them and them you can set the hook a bit easier.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yea like AUS-BEN-FISHO said try using smaller hooks and make sure you rig the bait in a form that looks natural otherwise fish will just pick at the bait until the bait comes off the hook . And try using lighter lines for example when im bait fishing for bream i use 4lb leader and 6lb mainline  but if im not sure what im going to target or catch on the day i will tie a 6lb leader just in case the flatties are around as you need the heavier leader so that don’t bust you off . So my general purpose setup would be a 3-8lb rod 2000 size reel and 6lb braid to 6lb leader . And that will give you the sensitivity and lightness to feel every touch also if your using a fibreglass rod maybe switch to a graphite rod as they’re thinner and more sensitive. Go light to get the bite is my advice but this could depend on the species your targeting . Im assume your talking about common estuary fish like whiting bream flathead and tailor. Also try using long shank hooks if your worried about the fish swallowing the bait as it is rare To guthook a fish using longshanks I prefer the longshanks over the circle hooks as both of  these hooks rarely gut hook fish and I prefer to strike the fish instead of just reeling down . also barbs on the shank part of the hook help the bait stay on the hook a lot longer and hook up rates improve because of this . You can also pressdown the barb on the hook point with pillars which helps with your hookup rate just make sure when you reeling the fish in to have tension on the line at all times.

Thanks. I might have to build a rod for smaller estuary fish. As I fish in Cairns our 'estuary' fish include barra, jacks and little trevs (I also catch tons of whiting and small jewies) so I usually use 40lb leader and a 6-9kg spin outfit for smaller fish and larger overheads for live baiting. I will need to invest in some smaller circles and lighter line for some smaller fish.

Hi Breaming with bro

Yeah, that sounds good. The one advantage of circle hooks is that you can just let the fish eat it if you want to leave your rod. Longshank hooks are better for smaller fish like whiting, mullet, bream and garfish as well but they don't go up that big (you'd probably already know) so that's why circle hooks are a bit of a better option when live baiting.

2 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

Thanks. I might have to build a rod for smaller estuary fish. As I fish in Cairns our 'estuary' fish include barra, jacks and little trevs (I also catch tons of whiting and small jewies) so I usually use 40lb leader and a 6-9kg spin outfit for smaller fish and larger overheads for live baiting. I will need to invest in some smaller circles and lighter line for some smaller fish.

Hey Jaz44

Yes, I probably wouldn't suggest going any lighter if you are going for those species - they pull very hard. 

If you are wanting a smaller rod, maybe have this to catch fish/keep you occupied while you wait for something good to bite 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Yeah. Sometimes we will cut up a little trevally (they have a great, firm flesh that holds hard for strip baits and is also great for sashimi) or livebait a whiting. We catch these odd little fish at Palm Cove (about 30cm) that are a brilliant shark livie. I will have to take photos next time we fish there. 

8 minutes ago, tugger said:

I'm sold on circle hooks takes a bit to get used to but I love using them now just don't strike but slowly add weight and you hook fish in the corner of the mouth 95% of the time

Hi tugger

Yes, it makes it a lot easier. I like the feeling when the line slowly gets heavier and heavier... and then you're on!

Cheers Hamish 🙂