Land Based Fishing Cairns/ Fnq

ggg

Hi all,

I would like to pick your brains on a few questions. I fish mostly landbased off Cairns. I am looking for a spot at False Cape (don't want to give the exact location away but people would know the spot if they fish it). Has anyone fished it recently and would be able to give me some tips and tricks for catching fish there? Can you catch mackerel if you throw a bait out on a float? Also, I would like some knowledge on land- based shark fishing. Has anyone got some good spots (just please tell me which beach, I will put the time in) for big sharks? I don't have a option to 'swim' a bait out o a kayak or something of the sort so would a float rig work to let it drift out or possibly just casting?

Thank you all and tight lines.

Hi Jaz44

Like ellicat said, tiotony is from Cairns. Go on to his profile and read some of his reports too, you might get some tips from them. 🙂 

As for the questions, I am next to useless as I've never fished Cairns but in terms of sharking I would say that casting with a rig enough to stay on the bottom will bring the goods. If looking for some larger ones, maybe float some of the side of a rocky outcrop (if there is one) or with the tide.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I know where your talking about at False Cape - mackerel there when the water is clear i.e: north east winds. I'm too lazy to drive that far though. Should be big grunter coming on there now too.

Sharks everywhere - I've been seeing a lot of big bullies and hammerheads at Holloways beach recently, quite close to shore. Sharks are the bane of my life there when fishing livies for barra and salmon.

Plenty of bullies in the Barron too - could try at the fishing platform at Stratford or at the old Kamerunga bridge; I always see bullies smashing mullet on early morning high tides at Kamerunga. 

I don't fish in (these current) SE winds, but prior (up to about a week ago) there's been loads of barra and salmon on the beaches, this made some nice fish cakes last weekend.

b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

Thanks mate. It's not too bad a drive as I live on the Southside. I think I might try to float a livie for a mackie and heard of a 65cm grunter caught of that spot as well. I totally forgot about crocs as well (me being a good Northener!). Thanks for the tips

I'm northside so big drive for me to go East Trinity. I've got a mate who hits the doggie mackeral in winter with high speed spinners off the rocks going to Port Douglas; maybe work at False cape too.

Saw a croc in Barr creek a couple of weeks ago that was big enough to definitely overturn a kayak - I've had a couple of close encounters over the years so am very croc aware.

2 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

Thanks. I have a broomstick of a 24kg rod and a 20, 000 reel I'd like to use for mackerel and sharks. Off that spot and even the beach, would the current take a float out to sea? I can only cast 10- 15m accurately with this rod. Thanks for all your help

Hi Jaz44

It depends on which way the tide is going, I think if you found a gutter you could cast into you might be OK. I don't know about the current though, maybe wait 'till tiotony sees this again.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Only way to do it is fish creek mouths and let the float catch a ride out on the ebb tide - I've done this at the mouth of Barr creek sometimes and either get bitten off or spooled by what I suspect could be spanish macks (I only use 6 or 10lb line). Seen so many big macks lost on the beach over the years because none of us regulars use wire.

I do see the big noahs out from the creek mouth on the ebb (obviously hoovering up fish leaving the creek), so I reckon fishing the ebb at a creek mouth next week with the big new moon tides you wouldn't be waiting long to get a run.

Other option I guess is Palm cove jetty

3 minutes ago, tiotony said:

Only way to do it is fish creek mouths and let the float catch a ride out on the ebb tide - I've done this at the mouth of Barr creek sometimes and either get bitten off or spooled by what I suspect could be spanish macks (I only use 6 or 10lb line). Seen so many big macks lost on the beach over the years because none of us regulars use wire.

I do see the big noahs out from the creek mouth on the ebb (obviously hoovering up fish leaving the creek), so I reckon fishing the ebb at a creek mouth next week with the big new moon tides you wouldn't be waiting long to get a run.

Other option I guess is Palm cove jetty

Hi tiotony

I am starting to wish I was in Cairns right now, LOL, Spaniards from the beach! That is awesome 🙂 

Cheers Hamish