Shimano Baitrunner

GregOug

Hi all,

Just bought a Shimano Baitrunner 12000d. It says it takes 500m of 0.35 diameter braid, which is apparently around 50lb breaking strain. Any opinions on whether this would be a good choice for general casting at Pelagics in the bay and a bit of snapper fishing (if I ever manage to find one, that is). I thought it may be a bit heavy but would welcome any recommendations.

cheers

Greg

Hi @GregOug. I have the 8000 model and it is a great reel for bait fishing for species like snapper, but I wouldn’t like to be using it cast at longtails for any length of time. The 12000 would be even heavier. Horses for courses I guess. They are pretty sturdy though and the drag system is smooth for the price. I upgraded to carbontex washers in the front drag.

Hope this helps.

it will do both of those things...but probably not the best option 

when you talk about chasing snapper, do you mean big snaps offshore or more bay sized snapper? id think a 4000 sized reel would be much better suited. i use 4000 for pelagics in the bay. 50lb braid is very heavy for the bay. My 4000 reels have 20lb and 30lb on them

Hi Greg, 

I use the Shimano Thunnus 12000 Ci4 for my snapper fishing in the bay & in the shallows off shore., In my opinion they are a must have for Moreton bay snapper when fishing slow tidal movement areas.  Pretty heavy to have as casting reel for your pelagic fish. you would be better suited to a 4000 or 5000 Stradic or similar for that. 

I'm not personally big on braid with these types of baitrunner reels and tend to stick to 20--30lb mono.   But everybody has a preference. 

Cheers 

Josh ><>

4 minutes ago, christophagus said:

it will do both of those things...but probably not the best option 

when you talk about chasing snapper, do you mean big snaps offshore or more bay sized snapper? id think a 4000 sized reel would be much better suited. i use 4000 for pelagics in the bay. 50lb braid is very heavy for the bay. My 4000 reels have 20lb and 30lb on them

2 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Hi Greg, 

I use the Shimano Thunnus 12000 Ci4 for my snapper fishing in the bay & in the shallows off shore., In my opinion they are a must have for Moreton bay snapper when fishing slow tidal movement areas.  Pretty heavy to have as casting reel for your pelagic fish. you would be better suited to a 4000 or 5000 Stradic or similar for that. 

I'm not personally big on braid with these types of baitrunner reels and tend to stick to 20--30lb mono.   But everybody has a preference. 

Cheers 

Josh ><>

Thanks guys. That was what I was looking for. More about the line size and type than the reel itself. I must admit I have braid on some of my reels, but have never really caught much on them. Although, like everyone, I probably have way too many reels, and don’t get to use most of them.