Hi all

I was just thinking as this has happened to me before. I know this question kind of has an explanation from the DPI laws (unsaid), but what would you do if:

A. An undersized fish gets gut hooked and can't swim off? Still throw back?

B. You catch undersized fish in deep water i.e. an Amber jack and it can't swim off, despite being voided/having barotrauma treatment?

The fish have just been thrown back, and eaten by pelicans.  

Also, school is out for the term! Though, I'm still going to have to day assignments and online learning which is expected. But, since I don't think there are timelines and I am just doing it at home, I may be able to sneak our for a session in the weekday

Please login or register to view this image

I hope COVID-19 is of no harm to anyone or no-one catches this virus.

Cheers Hamish

Hi kmcrosby78

Alright, will do. I s'pose it is just one of those things that nothing can really be done about. Thanks for the tip.

You probably can't wait 'till the holidays either, hopefully the week goes past quickly.

Cheers Hamish

At the end of the day, there is very little that gets wasted in the ocean, when you consider the amount of fish that gets killed and eaten in the ocean on a daily basis a few fish caught buy fishermen and then released even in a dying state will not make any impact in the great scheme of things, the ocean recycles almost everything, what dies or gets killed, will get eaten and then it goes up the food chain.

Simplistically, every predatory fish out there has to eat another fish almost on a daily basis or every two or three days, so a billion fish = a billion meals (fish), the plankton eaters provide the bulk mass of food (fish) that eventually move up the food chain. The larger the predator the more fish  it eats. So your contribution of a dying undersized fish will not make a great deal of difference and will just provide meals for other fish, crabs etc. which will gladly appreciate it, they in turn get bigger and eaten and so move up the food chain.

The problem arises when mankind takes the fish out of the oceans which removes the fish biomass from the food chain, so the caught  fish do not contribute to continuing the food cycle and so less food for other fish. That is my 2 cents worth.

Hi Ed.

Alright, thanks for the advice. It's funny you talk about food chains as well as it was what I was learning about in school. I guess as long as it is eaten or put to use it will be OK apposed to being kept illegally. 

Cheers Hamish

Unfortunately mankind is the problem as far as the oceans Eco-system is concerned,  because we take fish out of the ocean and eat it to grow and multiply, almost all of mankind's biomass does not contribute back in any meaningful way to the oceans ecology or it's food biomass, due to our bodies not ending up back in the ocean  to continue the food cycle. We die and get buried/burnt, so approx 100kg of "food" (per person) does not get put back to the ocean to get recycled and contribute back to the oceans food chain.

Which is a big contrast to dead fish in the ocean, if you tie a fish frame to something underwater in the ocean and you can be pretty much assured that within a few days it will be gone and recycled to replenish the food chain. When you also consider the billions of fish that get killed or die on a daily basis in the oceans, you would be hard pressed to find a single fish skeleton if you went for a dive underwater.

Anyway the law doesn't care if it was dying or not as it would be too hard to prove so we just have to accept it and just release undersized fish even if they are dying and go catch a bigger one!

Cheers

Ed.

1 hour ago, Junky said:

I make a habit of not catching undersized fish for that reason....

1 hour ago, Junky said:

I make a habit of not catching undersized fish for that reason....

I make a habit of not catching fish, unfortunately 

19 minutes ago, GregOug said:

I make a habit of not catching fish, unfortunately 

Hi GregOug

That is what is known has a bad habit, hopefully you can break the drought and start getting some good ones with the new boat  

5 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Well it had to happen. ScoMo just announced no more than 2 people from different families outside together now. So much for fishing to pass the time!

Well, all I can say there is it's a pity! It was bound to happen eventually I s'pose.

Cheers Hamish