GregOug
Go to solution Solved by Old Scaley,

Hi all,

This might seem like a basic, or even dumb, question but do the Marine Parks green zones show up on modern sounders/gps? If not, how are you supposed to know if you’re in one or not? I mean some are fairly obvious like Swan Bay which a small bay with the demarcation points drawn between two obvious landmarks. But when you are out in the middle of Moreton Bay it’s not nearly so obvious. For reference I have a Lowrance HDS Live with a platinum Navionics card in it.

cheers

Greg

The Green Zones are on navionics but they are only fine lines and nearly impossible to tell them apart from all the other lines on the chart.

The latest Garmin charts have the Green Zones shaded so you can see them easily.

Cmap i am not sure what they are doing on their latest charts.

You can download the green zone waypoints and then create routes to have a visible boundary on your charts.

I do have a Lowrance file somewhere with it all completed so if I can find it, I will post up a download link for you and you can stick it in your plotter and upload them.

I found the file and uploaded a copy to my server.

Just click on the link and download it to your desktop and unzip the file.

It has .usr and .rte files and from memory the .usr should be accepted into your lowrance.

If not, you should be able to use something like GPSBabel to convert the files to what ever format you want.

Back up all your current marks onto a SD Card before you add these new ones.

https://www.reeltackle.com.au/greenzones/marine_zones.zip

1 hour ago, aussie123 said:

It has .usr and .rte files and from memory the .usr should be accepted into your lowrance.

If not, you should be able to use something like GPSBabel to convert the files to what ever format you want.

That’s great! Thanks. Much appreciated. Now I figure I have at least three months or so to work out how to do that before the corona restrictions are lifted. Hopefully that will be long enough. 
cheers

Greg

9 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Thats is awesome mate

What a great gesture.

On 06/04/2020 at 10:14 PM, aussie123 said:

Hi Aussie,

Just finished uploading your green zone marks to my Lowrance. And guess what? It actually seems to have worked! Thanks heaps.

cheers

Greg

HI Aussie123, 
New member here and first post so please be gentle 🙂
I downloaded and unzipped your 
.usr and .rte files. I've yet to load them on my Lowrance Hook2 and test it out.

On viewing the files in the zip, it appears the routes that are in the zip file are for the Nth end of Moreton bay.

Do you have any files for south of Green Island?

Thanks in advance

Terry

5 hours ago, bicter said:

HI Aussie123, 
New member here and first post so please be gentle 🙂
I downloaded and unzipped your 
.usr and .rte files. I've yet to load them on my Lowrance Hook2 and test it out.

On viewing the files in the zip, it appears the routes that are in the zip file are for the Nth end of Moreton bay.

Do you have any files for south of Green Island?

Thanks in advance

Terry

No Terry, only what is in the file.

On 06/04/2020 at 9:51 PM, aussie123 said:

The Green Zones are on navionics but they are only fine lines and nearly impossible to tell them apart from all the other lines on the chart.

The latest Garmin charts have the Green Zones shaded so you can see them easily.

Cmap i am not sure what they are doing on their latest charts.

You can download the green zone waypoints and then create routes to have a visible boundary on your charts.

I do have a Lowrance file somewhere with it all completed so if I can find it, I will post up a download link for you and you can stick it in your plotter and upload them.

Hey @aussie123. I have a Garmin echomap 95sv. The green zones are mapped but only with a thin purple line like a lot of other purple lines on the chart. I have been looking for a setting to get them shaded but can’t find one. Is the shading only on certain models? I have downloaded the latest charts. One bonus or workaround is that if you tap on the map on a spot inside the green zone, a pop up tells you that fishing is prohibited. Got so much time to play with these things at the moment.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Hey @aussie123. I have a Garmin echomap 95sv. The green zones are mapped but only with a thin purple line like a lot of other purple lines on the chart. I have been looking for a setting to get them shaded but can’t find one. Is the shading only on certain models? I have downloaded the latest charts. One bonus or workaround is that if you tap on the map on a spot inside the green zone, a pop up tells you that fishing is prohibited. Got so much time to play with these things at the moment.

I m not sure if it is a setting Steve as I am not real familiar with the Garmin gear.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
On 12/04/2020 at 4:08 PM, aussie123 said:

I m not sure if it is a setting Steve as I am not real familiar with the Garmin gear.

Found the setting today. You need to go into the charts menu, choose “restrictions” then “green zones”. Hit the radio button to turn it on and all the green zones show as a brighter shade of green than anything else on the map. Hope this helps someone else.