GregOug

Hi all, 

Another question. I’m full of it. Ah, I mean them. Anyway, I was dwelling on the amount of plastics (artificial baits) being used all around the world these days and it got me to thinking. Does anyone know if there’s been any research into their effects on fish. I mean, the world is up in arms about all the discarded plastic etc fouling the worlds oceans and yet here we are feeding plastics to fish! Surely the fish are swallowing the baits and then having to digest them. Presumably, they are made from some supposedly biodegradable plastic that is not fouling the oceans or fishes insides.

I am just wary these days of supposedly safe materials. Years ago people were told asbestos was harmless and even just yesterday on the news I found out that carbon fibre is nearly as bad. There was a light plane crash (in Queensland from memory) and the rescuers had to wait for a special team from the city to arrive because the plane was constructed mostly of carbon fibre, and the team had to wear full body suits and breathing apparatus due to the carbon fibre.

cheers

Greg

Intresting question. Im not entirely sure on the answer but i do know that generally you dont feed the plastics to the fish. They work like a lure and youbget it back when you reel in the fish. I guess they could be swallowed from time to time though. Be intrestimg to do some research as i hate the waterways being more and more pullouted

Hi GregOug

I believe there are multiple types of plastics, some better than others. For example, as far as I know, Z-man plastics aren't biodegradable, and a quick search says that the materials do not dissolve. Saying this, the eco-friendly plastics do biodegrade, and I've heard anglers complain because leaving them in their tackle boxes makes them shrink. I think it comes down to personal preference, and I have heard PVC is a main ingredient in plastics, which isn't biodegradable. 

I also heard about that carbon-fibre plane crash, very sad that the man passed away. As well as this (I know this is a bit off topic, sorry) I just heard the man who was attacked on North-West Island by a shark passed away as well. 😞 

Here is the website saying some of this  which should be more detailed than my summary- 

https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/conservation/soft-plastic-lures-the-future

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter because the fish don’t actually swallow and digest the plastic . The just get hooked in the corner of jaw 99% of the time I’ve never gut hooked a fish on a soft plastics before . And yea as long as you pick up your own rubbish I can’t see how it could make a difference . The people who always leave old fishing line and lure packets on wharfs and jetties really piss me of though . People who do this really need to take in consideration of the negative effects in can cause on bird and marine life and it just looks plain messy in general. Zman plastics are my go to soft plastics but I’ve heard good things about the bio tough lures by Shimano/squidgies if you were really concerned about the environmental effects . But like I said I don’t think it makes a difference unless your not picking up your own rubbish and mess

45 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I've opened up a snapper that had a full Nuclear Chook Gulp in its gut, so not sure how fast they biodegrade.

Were you with me when I caught that tailor that had about 30 cm of leader and just the rusty eye of a hook trailing out of its date? The rest of the hook must have been eaten away by salt and digestive juices and the fish was expelling the leader slowly. Never seen the remnants of a plastic, or any other plastic for that matter, inside a fishes gut but it would not surprise me. Especially fish that inhale bait such as cod.  Sometimes flathead take them down a long way as well.

1 minute ago, Old Scaley said:

Were you with me when I caught that tailor that had about 30 cm of leader and just the rusty eye of a hook trailing out of its date? The rest of the hook must have been eaten away by salt and digestive juices and the fish was expelling the leader slowly. Never seen the remnants of a plastic, or any other plastic for that matter, inside a fishes gut but it would not surprise me. Especially fish that inhale bait such as cod.  Sometimes flathead take them down a long way as well.

No, I wasn't with you but do recall you telling me about it.
If my memory serves me correctly, there was no jighead in the Gulp in the snapper. So it had either wasted away or somehow the fish ate a gulp without a hook.

54 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Hey Old Scaley

That is no good, at least the hook was breaking down and rusting. I wouldn't be surprised either to gut a cod and find all sorts in there, apparently they will eat pretty much everything.

51 minutes ago, ellicat said:

So it had either wasted away or somehow the fish ate a gulp without a hook

Hi ellicat

Yes, I think the second one, especially being a snapper, which would inhabit clearer water, making it easier to see, and for the plastic to get washed around. Also, nice new profile picture of you with a jewie??? by the looks.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

On 08/04/2020 at 9:17 AM, Junky said:

Use the berkley gulps. Almost entrily made with liquid and biodegradable. 👍 

Yes Gulp plastics are biodegradable but will still take 2 years to disintegrate in salt water ( less time in land fill).  Fish don't usually eat the plastics so best to keep all the plastics you use and take them home and bin them if possible.

Most brands of plastics won't disintegtate in the near future. Keitech plastics are also biodegradable and I tend to use them and gulp plastics these days.