Brisbane River 9/4/20

squeak6969

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hiya squeak6969

Great threadie, its awesome that"s your first! Is that at Murrarrie Recreation Hub?

I am going out tomorrow morning early for them, was that dinner or released?

Great job,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yes this is murrarie rec hub. At the top of the tide on a live herring

Hi squeak6969

Alright, it might be somewhere I could check out. I am going out targeting them tomorrow, so I hope I can hook one. 

Also, just a quick question for all. Would it be acceptable, if fishing land based, to release a fish? I know it says you can only;y go out boat based fishing for a feed, but I am not particular wanting to keep a thready if a catch it. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

16 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi squeak6969

Alright, it might be somewhere I could check out. I am going out targeting them tomorrow, so I hope I can hook one. 

Also, just a quick question for all. Would it be acceptable, if fishing land based, to release a fish? I know it says you can only;y go out boat based fishing for a feed, but I am not particular wanting to keep a thready if a catch it. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I kept this one but i heard this size release back ok.....smaller ones have a bit of trouble. Dont know of its true or not though

Hi squeak6969

As far as I'm concerned, most threadies will release well. I just saw on YoutTube some fellas catch and release a 1.25m model, so you can release the bigger ones. The only problem is baroutrauma, which they do suffer from (it's where their swim bladder inflates due to them being pulled up from deeper water) which requires the fish to be voided. I have never had this, but I have seen it happen to others.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Just now, Old Scaley said:

The big ones struggle a bit, but probably because the fight is longer. @AUS-BNE-FISHO I am sure you won’t be fined for releasing a fish but understand why you might be confused. 

Hi Old Scaley

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense why the bigger ones might not release as well, I always thought it was baroutrauma, but I s'pose the longer fight might exhaust them. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

15 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Would it be acceptable, if fishing land based, to release a fish? I know it says you can only;y go out boat based fishing for a feed, but I am not particular wanting to keep a thready if a catch it. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hamish, I think one has the interpretation of the restrictions incorrect. One can still fish landbased, if one choses too, one can fish in/from ones boat. One can not just go cruising about in ones boat.
One can go fishing for food, one can not go fishing just for catch and release... so ensure you catch 2 fish 1 being a bream/flatty etc and take it home if you`re going with the intention to release fish. 😉😃