Shornecliffe Pier Monster???

AznVinc3nt

Hi all,

So the other day I was fishing off of Shorncliffe Pier using live herring on a running sinker rig (20lb leader). All of a sudden, my reel starts screaming (very light drag) and then it stopped. I reeled it in to find that my hook has been completely ripped off of my line.

This also happened at Wellington Point on dead pilchard.

WHAT KEEPS BITING ME OFF?

edit: how do I avoid this issue in the future? thanks

Hi AznVinc3nt

First of all, welcome to the forum. 

I think that the fish biting you off could've been a mulloway, mackerel, ray or shark if you are casting your line out or a mangrove jack or big cod if you are dropping your line in the water next to the pylons. Saying this, I haven't fished at any of these locations - this is from reading old threads and articles on other websites.

To avoid this, there are quite a few methods. The first would be to get a heavier combo, use tighter drag and be ready if this is going to happen. The second way would be to use a light wire trace if you think it is something toothy (i.e. shark). The final way might be that when you hook the fish, make sure to pull it away from any structure. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

2 minutes ago, AznVinc3nt said:

Do you think a heavier mono leader will work or do I need to switch to a wire leader?

Hey AznVinc3nt

As I have said above, it comes down to what you think it might be. I personally would go to heavier mono, as you are more likely to get a bite than if you are using wire. If you think it is something with teeth, use wire though as it will give better chance. 

If you think it may be a big chopper (tailor) or a mackerel, another tip might be to use gang hooks, especially with larger pillies. 

Cheers Hamish

3 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey AznVinc3nt

As I have said above, it comes down to what you think it might be. I personally would go to heavier mono, as you are more likely to get a bite than if you are using wire. If you think it is something with teeth, use wire though as it will give better chance. 

If you think it may be a big chopper (tailor) or a mackerel, another tip might be to use gang hooks, especially with larger pillies. 

Cheers Hamish

appreciate your detailed response. I'll try using heavier mono next time and see how it goes. Cheers 🙂

Hook type will have an impact on your chances of landing whatever it is (I agree with @Old Scaley that a small shark or school mackerel are the two most likely options). What sort of hook were you using? I'd go to 30lb leader (you could still go heavier but the heavier you go, the less likely to land other desirable fish like snapper, etc) and try using a circle hook (around 3/0 size) as you can land them if you hook them in the corner of the mouth (just don't give it ANY slack line once hooked, and perhaps set your drag a little firmer.

As Hamish said, you could also try ganged hooks - if you go this way, with a live herring bait, I'd just use two hooks, pinning one hook lightly through the back of the hook. I'd only use wire if these options fail as it will work for sharks, but less likely to attract much else (desirable anyway).

Good luck, it's always fun pondering what the one that got away was and how to catch it next time, part of the fun of fishing 🙂.

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hook type will have an impact on your chances of landing whatever it is (I agree with @Old Scaley that a small shark or school mackerel are the two most likely options). What sort of hook were you using? I'd go to 30lb leader (you could still go heavier but the heavier you go, the less likely to land other desirable fish like snapper, etc) and try using a circle hook (around 3/0 size) as you can land them if you hook them in the corner of the mouth (just don't give it ANY slack line once hooked, and perhaps set your drag a little firmer.

As Hamish said, you could also try ganged hooks - if you go this way, with a live herring bait, I'd just use two hooks, pinning one hook lightly through the back of the hook. I'd only use wire if these options fail as it will work for sharks, but less likely to attract much else (desirable anyway).

Good luck, it's always fun pondering what the one that got away was and how to catch it next time, part of the fun of fishing 🙂.

I was using a 4/0 or 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hook on a 20lb mono leader.

my drag was so light that when the fish pulled, my spin reel span faster than the line (almost like a mini baitcaster birdnest).

I went to buy some 3/0 gang hooks and 40lb mono leader so we'll see how that goes 🙂

I'm curious as to what's the reasoning behind a slightly tighter drag and not giving it any slack?

6 minutes ago, AznVinc3nt said:

I was using a 4/0 or 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hook on a 20lb mono leader.

my drag was so light that when the fish pulled, my spin reel span faster than the line (almost like a mini baitcaster birdnest).

I went to buy some 3/0 gang hooks and 40lb mono leader so we'll see how that goes 🙂

I'm curious as to what's the reasoning behind a slightly tighter drag and not giving it any slack?

Hi AznVinc3nt 

The reason may be because the fish can drop it easier if your drag is looser, and a bit of tension can help set the hooks. kmcrosby78 will probably have a better idea though, I am just guessing.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

44 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi AznVinc3nt 

The reason may be because the fish can drop it easier if your drag is looser, and a bit of tension can help set the hooks. kmcrosby78 will probably have a better idea though, I am just guessing.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

That's what I'm thinking Hamish, help to set the hooks and also if it is something toothy it makes it harder for it to keep engulfing the bait. Obviously it depends what it is but that's what I'd be trying 🙂 

2 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

That's what I'm thinking Hamish, help to set the hooks and also if it is something toothy it makes it harder for it to keep engulfing the bait. Obviously it depends what it is but that's what I'd be trying 🙂 

Hey kmcrosby78

Yes, alright. I suppose it would make a difference if it didn't have the tendency to run with the bait, only take off then drop it.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely a bull shark - there’s always tonnes of bait around the jetty and I have seen them free jumping near there while walking the dog along the foreshore.

for sharks, in my experience, a nylon coated wire trace doesn’t massively affect the bites. Run about 30cm of it and then a further 1.5-2m of heavier mono leader. In a prolonged fight the rough skin of a shark can wear through line above the wire quite easily.

another way is to make a set of gangs and leave the top hook free of the bait. So a gang of 3 - bait only goes on the bottom two. This is much more effective on mackerel who are very wary of wire. Still recommend running 1.5-2m of 40-60lb leader.

10 hours ago, benno573 said:

Another way is to make a set of gangs and leave the top hook free of the bait. So a gang of 3 - bait only goes on the bottom two. This is much more effective on mackerel who are very wary of wire. Still recommend running 1.5-2m of 40-60lb leader.

It has always puzzled me why ganged hooks are less likely to spook fish than a short length of wire, especially if it is nylon coated. Two or three extra hooks is a lot more metal.

But ganged hooks with no wire is so often recommended that I guess it must work better than wire, and there must be some reason behind it.

Anybody here know why, or got any theories ??

12 minutes ago, deegee12g said:

It has always puzzled me why ganged hooks are less likely to spook fish than a short length of wire, especially if it is nylon coated. Two or three extra hooks is a lot more metal.

But ganged hooks with no wire is so often recommended that I guess it must work better than wire, and there must be some reason behind it.

Anybody here know why, or got any theories ??

Hi deegee12g

What you are saying is correct, but both these things have different uses in fishing. 

Wire is very visible in water compared to a mono or fluorocarbon leader. It is going to be heavier than any mono or fluorocarbon you're going to use, which may not seem like much but if using baits which require good presentation, and especially weak livies, i.e. a herring, it can kill the bait quite quickly. Though, if you have something strong on, i.e. a big silver biddy, wire will not hinder and you can still catch fish on it. 

If you compare this to gang hooks, which can go into baits such as pillies and make them look natural it will be better. Another reason why gang hooks are better is because they can help with toothy critters or messy eaters that can either chop through normal line (the extra hooks give less space for them to chop through) or it gives more space to get a hook in a mouth full of teeth. 

That is just my reasoning behind it, hope it gives you a decent idea. I think that was a very good question, I am kind of wondering about it right now.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hi AznVinc3ntWas your leader scuffed or was it a clean cut? A clean cut could mean it was a shark or mackerel and a scuffed line might mean it was a jewfish. Really, it could be anything big as I have lost many a fish off piers. That's just the nature when you're fishing near barnacle- encrusted pylons. One tip would be to have a heavy outfit rigged up for fish like these. Just hook the biggest bait you have and leave it in freespool or a light drag. You can then fish with your light outfits for the usual catch. Once the heavy outfit starts screaming, you will have a fighting chance.

On 05/05/2020 at 11:57 AM, Jaz44 said:

Hi AznVinc3ntWas your leader scuffed or was it a clean cut? A clean cut could mean it was a shark or mackerel and a scuffed line might mean it was a jewfish. Really, it could be anything big as I have lost many a fish off piers. That's just the nature when you're fishing near barnacle- encrusted pylons. One tip would be to have a heavy outfit rigged up for fish like these. Just hook the biggest bait you have and leave it in freespool or a light drag. You can then fish with your light outfits for the usual catch. Once the heavy outfit starts screaming, you will have a fighting chance.

honestly don't remember. i'll keep that in mind next time. Cheers