Which Trailer Tinny For Traveling

blahha90

We have just travelled in caravan for a couple of years. Now the van is up for sale and we are going to take off again with a trailer boat and a tent/swag. Im looking for people thoughts on what boat, size, what trailer ect

My current candidates are Reneagde 420 or 440 with a Mackay off road Trailer. Im inexperienced with boats having only owned a Port-a-bote with 6hp so don't have much to go on!

We will be using it mainly Northern half of Australia and often remote areas,  so need something small enough to be nimble on the tracks and easy to launch anywhere. There are 3 of us, 2 adults and an 8 year old. We want to fish river/creek and get out to off shore islands and reef when the weather is good.

I would like the trailer to have a decent payload to carry additional fuel, water, gas ect and ideally run on 16" rims.

Keen to hear any tips from people who have done long trips with a boat

Cheers

Hi blahha90

I'm sure someone with a bit of a better idea will be able to get back to you on this, but when I was on school camp, we were in a small Quintrex to do some paddling. I think this would be OK, as it fitted six big kids in it, so it should fit 3 no problem. I think this is the model - 

http://www.quintrex.com.au/Aluminium-Boat-Range/310FishNipper?particulars=310 Wasp

I am not sure about the trailer but I assume it wouldn't be massive so it would probably suit. Keep us posted on how you go as well, we'll love to hear some reports from up that way. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Given you want to be able to take it to the islands/reefs, plus the fact you'll be using it in northern Australia (which has plenty of crocs), I think you're on the money with your 4.2-4.4ish range and definitely get a good solid trailer. Not sure on your budget but given the usage and places you'll be taking it, my suggestion would be to get 2nd hand so you don't drop too much money due to dings, scratches, etc.

Let us know what you end up getting and I'd be real keen to hear of some of your adventures. I was meant to go to Cape York this Sep/Oct and was on the hunt for a car topper (probably Sea Jay Nomad 3.7m) to go on top of our camper trailer.

Good luck and enjoy the trip when it happens 🙂.