Flattie, Cattie And Bream

Old Scaley

4 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Old Scaley

Nice session and report, good that you went out for some essential fish. Like ellicat said, what bait was it on? Livies, dead bait, or lures?

Also, I always thought that if you fished the POB you would escape the catfish but I guess I was wrong. 😉 LOL

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hamish, it was the humble half pillie that did the damage. It is an easy and successful bait for most fish, especially snapper. And I was using my new Stradic reel on a Nordic Stage Favourite Rod. 15lb JBraid line with 16lb Rock fluro leader. Size 2 ball sinker above the swivel and a 5/0 circle hook.  Really hunting snapper but happy with a flat fish as well. @ellicat, it is a very chubby fish.

Nice one Steve, good to see you out enjoying this great weather and good you were rewarded with a nice flattie 🙂. Bet you are looking forward to using the new electric motor - Friday could be a good day for us as I pulled the trigger on the new Suzuki today and they are hoping to have it installed by Friday, fingers crossed 🙂.

@AUS-BNE-FISHO - plenty of catfish in the POB area as there are plenty of mangroves. You even catch big ones out at the bay islands.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHO - plenty of catfish in the POB area as there are plenty of mangroves. You even catch big ones out at the bay islands.

Hi kmcrosby78

Right, I should know that. I remember you telling me (in one of my first posts) about a catfish you caught that you cooked up. It makes sense they are in the mangroves, at the local park on a high tide I could berley them up with bread and there'd be heaps of big ones eating it all. Fun to drop your line into the middle of. 😉 

Cheers Hamish