Brisbane River Session #18

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

Technically, this report started last night, so I'll tell you all what happened then. After some serious convincing, I managed to get my Dad to take me to the local park to put the shrimp traps in, for some back up live bait. They were baited with catfish and an old beef paddy (whatever I could find in the freezer LOL) and left for about a 10 hour soaking. The plan was to go this morning, so I did. I should probably also note it is fun and creepy to walk through a pitch black forest park/park full of trees at night, but it was worth it for what I got. I pulled them up this morning and managed a few good shrimp, enough to get the lines in and the bucket with a bit of bait, anyways. Here they are (I already had used a few for bait at the time of the photo) -

739305560_IMG_6350(1).JPG.8e72c0e1046ed64d6fca7c19caf2d8be.JPG

After they were deployed, it wasn't long before my first strike. Within about 15 minutes, I got a run. It managed to get bricked in some structure unfortunately, and it wouldn't come out. I then figured it was probably off, so I tried un-snagging it which resulted in myself loosing my leader a bit of line. I re rigged and through the lines back out. Now, I just sat down on the white bucket and waited. My threadfin line was also out, with a river shrimp. The next inquiry was on the line casted towards the mangroves, but whatever this was, it was tiny and barely pulled anything. After a bit more sitting down, I heard the lovely sound of a squealing reel. I knew it wasn't big as soon as I picked it up though, and I proceeded to land a small catfish. This one went back into the drink, the circle hook doing its job perfectly. Here it is - 

IMG_6351.JPG.70b3d4469965810d55ee2a6ca8960dca.JPG

After that little one, I had a quick go with the cast net. One of my initial casts resulted in four good size prawns, and one of these which was excellent size for threadies (12cm or so). They went in the bucket, and I did a bait check. The lines were debaited, so on two of them went the live prawn. I chucked them into the same positions and sat back down. By this time, the man who kayaks there every day (and the same one who assisted in the kangaroo rescue in session #17) was coming back. I reeled in my lines, and then when he was gone chucked them straight back out. I checked the thready line now and baited it with the biggest prawn.

The lady who walks there most days and has a chat with me when I'm fishing came by in about 15 minutes, so I told her the day had been pretty quiet, with only some shrimp, prawns, and a small catfish. Just then, the thready rod went off, so I set the hook. I started the fight, and I could immediately tell it wasn't big because of the weight and I thought it was a catfish due to the fact I was just dragging it in. It just so happens she was looking for a catfish to boil up, so she could get the bones and see how one sides was like Satan and the other like the Cross (if you don't know, I believe this is a wife's tale, but I've never tested so I'll be excited to hear the results). I bagged it up for her, told her about the spines and told her to freeze it before she boiled it so it would be dead (I didn't want to bleed it as I didn't want blood everywhere). It was a 37cm model, so a decent size I guess. I suppose this is a bit of a waste of fish, and I'm sure some will disagree and agree with that statement. I think it was more for an experiment, and she said she was going to give it to her grandson so I am fine with this. What are your opinions on this? Here it is - 

IMG_6352.JPG.06d44cf22eae156e7776917028a382ed.JPG

After that, nothing much more happened. A couple small touches on the rod in the mangrove area, but no more fish. I did some more time checks as well, as I didn't want to stay down there all day or any later because of online school, and my teacher would probably be annoyed if I came to school late LOL. At about 9:00AM, I called it quits as the bite was slowed down for the day, and loaded up the cart. I pulled out the shrimp trap and each one had a nice size shrimp in it, and the nippers on those things are crazy, about 3 times the body. Here it is - 

IMG_6354.JPG.9be413ef5023cf0814a57cdacb5477e0.JPG

That's the last pic, I hope you all enjoyed this relatively boring report. Sorry I didn't put it up much earlier, I was practising my trumpet a lot this arvo. I hope everyone stays safe and well with COVID-19, and that everyone can still get out for a fish. Sorry for any grammatical errors, I only did a proof read because I need to get to bed now/read. Here are the stats of the report - 

Statistics of trip:

Tide: Low at 5:40AM, high at 11:25AM, 0.4M-1.9M. I was fishing the rising tide, which isn't my preferred tide for this spot, but I couldn't help going for a fish 😉 

Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent, so just after the New Moon. I am actually surprised not more was biting.

Weather: 31c, 79% humidity, 8KM/H winds, partly cloudy, and 10% precipitation

Tackle Used: 4/o suicide and circle hooks, 9, 20lb, 80lb mono and fluorocarbon leaders, size 2 and 5/6 ball sinkers, 6"6' and 8" Ugly Stik rods, 2M Rogue Firepoint rod, large barrel swivel, size 1000 Sienna (shimano), Size 2500 Nasci (Shimano), size 650 Penn reels.

Time Fished: 6:30AM-9:00AM

Fish Caught: Catfish x 2

Bait Caught: Prawns x 4, Dozen or so shrimp (plus a heap of baby ones)

Bait Used: Live river shrimp and prawns

Overall Success Rate: 60% - while nothing good was biting, I had a really nice morning on the water. 🙂 

OK, that is the report done. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, agreed @ellicat.

8 hours ago, ellicat said:

I don't have a problem with someone keeping a cattie for an experiment. There is no shortage of them.

Hi ellicat/kmcrosby78

Alright, I don't either. I will tell you the results in the next report/next time I see her.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hi all

I thought I'd try my luck to get some prawns for some fresh bait for my next trip, which will hopefully be on Sunday (it might just be at the local park though, as my dad has been busy as hell with his work. 😞). I had numb hands by the end of it, but the ten good prawns and herring made it worthwhile - 

IMG_6375.JPG.4554b06d9b0dc104d76a519116986831.JPGIMG_6376.JPG.289271bd5ef9bf2f1409e796525f5fb8.JPG

They were put into a nice cold salt water ice slurry, so they stay fresh. They are obviously just going to fall asleep in the fridge, LOL. Sorry for the crappy second photo, I was taking it one handed so the phone didn't get wet.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good luck Hamish, sometimes securing the quality bait can be the hard part 🙂 

Hey kmcrosby78

Yes, I totally agree with you. The last time we were there we cast netted around Fisherman's Island in the shallows for a couple of small winter whiting and silver biddies (as well as a stingray) so this time our plan was to cast net off the boat ramp (the POB ramp, on the side with out ramps) but I have no interest in doing that because if it is very crowded, it'd probably annoy to many people. That's why I just got some fresh bait, and I also have a mullet, a couple shrimp, and herring in the freezer. I just checked the wind too, it's saying it going to be a bit rough so I think we'll be staying in a close vicinity to the ramp as it's one of our first times in the area. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hey ellicat

Thanks a lot for the spot, I'll bring a smaller net so I can throw it out of the kayak (I'd go overboard if I tried throwing my ten footer I think, LOL). I think the plan will be to go in there, cast net livies, then maybe paddle around looking for some structure with the sounder. I think we will avoid going into the river as there was so much boat traffic the last time we were in there.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

What time are you thinking about going Hamish? Low tide is middle of the day this weekend so options for quiet spots with water will be limited, as will your ability to net livies. There will be water in the channel that runs from the boat ramp towards Manly and not much boat traffic, especially in this wind. Just follow the markers and fish the drop offs on the last hour of the outgoing tide and first hour of the incoming tide and you might pick up a flattie or two. If you decide to head to the river, watch the current in the boat passage. It gets pretty strong on the dropping tide. Watch out for ships, tugs and idiots. Good luck!

Hey Old Scaley

I'll probably be doing an early morning session, just because that's what suites my Dad best, and we'll probably be gone by 10AM, 11AM if they are biting. Thanks for the tip on where to go, I will try to pick up some flatties for a feed - beer battered flatty tails for dinner! (OK, I'm probably be a tad optimistic, how about a beer battered flatty tail for dinner, LOL). I doubt we will go into the river, simply to avoid the big boats and jet skis. 

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Forgot you were yakking, thinking about when I was boating. You must be pretty good at throwing the net if you can do it from the yak.

Hey ellicat

Yes, I will only be throwing the smaller net as I'd go overboard with the ten footer, I can stand up while my Dad pilots the yak. If I do go overboard, I hope my Dad will manage to film it so everyone can have a good laugh... 😉 

Cheers Hamish