Kayak Mission 26/4

benno573

Yeah - this early start was voluntary!

@kmcrosby78 If you dropped a bait jig you’d fill the freezer no worries. Plenty of schools of hardiheads around too. I didn’t want to go home with stinky hands so just stuck with the placcies and a few trolled hardbodies.

@ellicat bust off and grassy happened in the same area so there was definitely more than one around. Hopefully I’ll get a few more next time! I have a second kayak and a tow rope if you’re interested... 😂

58 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi benno573

That sounds like you had a great time, good job on the session. 🙂 

Do you have a sounder on the kayak, and if so, what model? We have just put a Lowrance Hook 2 on, and are hopefully going to test it out this weekend. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

No sounder for me. It’s on my to-do list but not at the top. I often beach launch my kayak so not having salt water splashing over electronics is a factor. I figure I’ll hit the bottom when it’s too shallow. 🤷‍♂️

Wello is fairly easy to fish without a sounder - you can find the ledge/ drop off by just watching the bottom and when you can’t see it any more you’ve gone over the drop off. Then you sit out in the deeper water and cast back into the shallows and work the lure out over the ledge. There’s plenty of islands and other landmarks and even crab pot floats to help you stay in the right area.

1 minute ago, benno573 said:

No sounder for me. It’s on my to-do list but not at the top. I often beach launch my kayak so not having salt water splashing over electronics is a factor. I figure I’ll hit the bottom when it’s too shallow. 🤷‍♂️

Wello is fairly easy to fish without a sounder - you can find the ledge/ drop off by just watching the bottom and when you can’t see it any more you’ve gone over the drop off. Then you sit out in the deeper water and cast back into the shallows and work the lure out over the ledge. There’s plenty of islands and other landmarks and even crab pot floats to help you stay in the right area.

Hi benno573

Righto, I've never really launched except from somewhere like a boat ramp/jetty. You certainly wouldn't want water splashing over your sounder.

Thanks for the tips on Wello as well, hopefully one day I can check it out. 🙂 Sounds like a good little spot for a fish.

Cheers Hamish

• 2 weeks later...