Scarborough To Tangalooma - Tuna Everywhere! 26/4

The Mad Hughesy

12 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Nice little mac tuna. Bet you put that in the fridge for some future sharking.

When I was running solo I had a rope attached to the port stern corner and would use that to control the rear end whilst I was up the winch end.

great tip, thanks

No i threw it back actually! silly me should have kept it hah

4 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi christophagus

While you didn't manage to hook to many of the tuna (or they didn't take your lures), that still seems like a great session. Was the mac tuna bait or just released? Good job on it too!

It's good you could mange solo launching, but I think it would be easier with a fishing buddy too. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

let him go mate. would hae been a great small shark bait but i wanted to let him go as the tuna at the time were till all around my boat and i wanted a bigger one haha

39 minutes ago, christophagus said:

let him go mate. would hae been a great small shark bait but i wanted to let him go as the tuna at the time were till all around my boat and i wanted a bigger one haha

Hiya christophagus

Alright, pity you didn't get a big one. When you take them home, do you freeze them whole, fillet them, fillet and salt them, or just keep them in the fridge until use? I have heard tuna come apart quickly, so I was just wondering your method. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Good to get out on the water and also get some boat ramp practice Chris. Something else I've realised lately when retrieving mine solo is the importance of how far I reverse the trailer into the water - too far and the boat doesn't sit/grip on the rear rollers and can float around in the water while I'm trying to get back to the winch. Take note of that next time and bit by bit you'll find it easier and easier 🙂 

51 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks for the report @christophagus. I think you are right about Moreton Bay tuna. I have caught longies in Hervey Bay and up around Cape York and they were really aggressive compared to the skittish models we have here. What size is your boat?

I went out with a charter in Hervey Bay who did not believe on sneaking up on the schools. He literally drove right up to them every time and it did not scare them at all! Cant do that here

ive got a Quintrex 5m coast runner