Ozfish Central Moreton Chapter

17 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Are you not using Gal Wire with anodes attached Robbie?

Yep they are gal. Interesting to see the surface rust already on them. 

We wanted to go out there yesterday but the wind put us off. Hopefully get out there again very soon.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yep they are gal. Interesting to see the surface rust already on them. 

We wanted to go out there yesterday but the wind put us off. Hopefully get out there again very soon.

See if you can find that wire or another suitable one that has been double galvanised and use an anode on each frame and that should slow down the corrosion a lot.

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

See if you can find that wire or another suitable one that has been double galvanised and use an anode on each frame and that should slow down the corrosion a lot.

We want the wire to degrade after about 2 years. These ones are cheap but hopfully will last that long before falling apart. 

Anode is a great idea. I will attach these to some of them to see how they go. 

6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

We want the wire to degrade after about 2 years. These ones are cheap but hopfully will last that long before falling apart. 

Anode is a great idea. I will attach these to some of them to see how they go. 

Anodes are a must Robbie if you want them to last a while.

When I used to fish trap offshore, any traps without anodes would just dissolve away and the wire would just start to crumble and some bigger fish would swim straight through the wire.

Definitely get some trap anodes on some and see if there is much difference with them.

10 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Anodes are a must Robbie if you want them to last a while.

When I used to fish trap offshore, any traps without anodes would just dissolve away and the wire would just start to crumble and some bigger fish would swim straight through the wire.

Definitely get some trap anodes on some and see if there is much difference with them.

Can I just wire them on?

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

ha20191111_135128.jpg.4001a2d0120a23e5cc080a6efbd2982a.jpgHave a look at this image.

See how there is no growth from the base? 

It is something that has been seen in a lot of places...

My theory is there is something that is killing the spat (baby oysters) that lives on the sea floor. It makes the oyster clumps do this mushroom shape.

Anyone got a theory? 

Could possibly be a rock worm or crab, or maybe even an algae...

I'm no expert on this... Maybe @Andrew P would have an OK idea as he works in this sort of field...

I suppose if it was algae, it would eat the whole thing up..

Cheers Hamish