Boat For Moreton Bay

Vyprath

Got roughly $10k for a boat to buy. Looking at heading around moreton bay (on a good day), not quite to moreton island, aswell as primarly fishing estuaries and the bribie passage.

What is a good boat that doesnt break the bank for this if possible?

Was looking at the quintrex renegade (bit out of price range) and quintrex hornet trophy.

Obviously buying second hand

Cheers

Your aluminium will usually be dearer than fibreglass in older boats. The fibreglass will be more forgiving on your back and knees in chop and swell. If you intend to stay inshore go the aluminium as it will be better for shallow water and creeks. If going mainly in the bay I would go the fibreglass. In the long run you’re probably better off going a slightly smaller boat with a newer motor than a larger one with an older motor.

Stay with either the aluminium or 'polyboat' range. Fibreglass is a lot of maintenance, due to rotting and soft-spots, and (personally), it's always in the back of your mind that if you hit something out in the reef, you may not make it home. Obviously, you won't be tens of miles offshore, but something to think about. I know stories of people hitting turtles or shallow bommies and having their boat sink. Fibreglass cracks and aluminium dents. You will make it home in an aluminium hull. Also, get the biggest boat you can possibly afford (within reason and make sure it's not a bomb). It will improve the stability and fish-ability immensely and you can get out in those rougher days. That's just my opinion but I live in an area much different to you.

Tight lines and good luck

• 4 months later...
On 04/05/2020 at 10:45 PM, Vyprath said:

Got roughly $10k for a boat to buy. Looking at heading around moreton bay (on a good day), not quite to moreton island, aswell as primarly fishing estuaries and the bribie passage.

What is a good boat that doesnt break the bank for this if possible?

Was looking at the quintrex renegade (bit out of price range) and quintrex hornet trophy.

Obviously buying second hand

Cheers

did you end up getting one?